Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Need support wire

I have a phal that is blooming and I am worried that the stem cannot support
the weight of the flowers. I have seen orchids with support wire around the
stem and attached to a bamboo support.

Is this wire something special or just fine tin wire. Seems it would neet
some springiness to it to provide support.

Can someone tell me what this wire is and where to get it, both internet and
in brick stores.

Thanks,

Vito

Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I wasn't really able to decipher much from your description. But yes, the
Phal stem probably does need support. Any thin, relatively straight stick
(whether wood or rigid wire) will work. To anchor the stem to the stake,
you can use twist-ties (purchased or saved from your last loaf of bread), or
any of the variety of dragonfly/butterfly/daisy clips which were originally
intended for little girls' hair ...

It is best to tie off in 2 places, one just below the last flowers and
another lower on the stem, otherwise the stem may snap just above a single
fastener placed high. Kenni

Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Actually this is a stem off to the side. I do have a stick supporting the
vertical stem but this is a horizontal stem with lots of flowers out about 9
inches from the verticle stem.

I have another phal that I bought in bloom with a wire twisting around the
horizontal stem. I do not know if this is just regular wire or something
more springy. That phal has almost finished flowering. I could use that
wire on the phal in question.

Vito

news

Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks. I have a Michael just down the street.

Vito

"tenman" wrote in message
Uncle_vito wrote:
Actually this is a stem off to the side. I do have a stick supporting
the vertical stem but this is a horizontal stem with lots of flowers out
about 9 inches from the verticle stem.

I have another phal that I bought in bloom with a wire twisting around
the horizontal stem. I do not know if this is just regular wire or
something more springy. That phal has almost finished flowering. I
could use that wire on the phal in question.

Vito

Vito-

What you're looking for is called floral wire, available in a range of
thicknesses and lengths and either green or silver. I get mine at a large
crafts store in my area called Michael's. Call around and see who carries
it in your area.

It's very easy to work with and a medium thickness will be most versatile;
strong enough to hold but thin enought to bend easily with hands and
pliers. It's pretty cheap, too, in packs of about 20 pieces.

Tennis