Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Keikigrow questions

Dear All,

I haven't posted in ages, but one of my questions some time ago was
about a phal with crown rot... I watered with peroxide as people
suggested, filled the crown with cinnamon... The rot stopped & the
plant is still alive; a while ago I was surprised when it flowered.
It's been some time since the last flower dropped off, but the stem is
still green & the roots are still good. It doesn't look like it's
going to make an offshoot on its own, but I'd still like to save it.
I've only just been able to get some keiki paste. I applied it
yesterday, & tonight I've read over the archived questions & comments
about it.
I have 2 questions: in the instructions that came with it, one page
says store at room temperature, & the other says store it in the
fridge. I noticed someone here in the past said put it in the
fridge... Is that what you all do?
The other question is really just curiosity, but it says to avoid skin
contact. I was wondering why? It doesn't sound like a particularly
toxic product....
Thanks for any suggestions.

Alison
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I store mine in the fridge to extend shelf-life. I believe that was the
original instructions. I'm not sure if there's an additional carrier besides
lanolin but in general it's a good idea to keep your hands off hormones and
other organic chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin. Wash
carefully.
Gary

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That makes sense, when you consider that many plant compounds are
estrogenic. Duh -- wasn't thinking. Thanks.
There are 3 little nubs already apparent. I'm very happy; I wasn't
sure it would work at all with this battered plant. Now I'm
wondering, if the top one, or any, should turn out to be a flower
spike & not a keiki, should I cut it off to encourage keikis on the
other nodes, or should I leave it to flower & hope for another node or
2 on the branch that I might use?

Alison