Old 17-03-2008, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Hard white spots on leaves

I noticed today that several of my phals have small, hard white bumps
on the top of some leaves. Just a few. It's possible that they have
been that way for a while. I only noticed it today because I decided
to put my glasses on and check for new spikes. Without my glasses
everything looks great!

The plants look fine and are either in flower or growing spikes.

Help would be appreciated.
Old 17-03-2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

can you post a pciture over to abpo?

--j_a
Old 18-03-2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 17, 3:54 pm, wrote:
can you post a pciture over to abpo?

--j_a

Sorry. Should have done this first.

Photos he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/orchidspots.jpg
Old 18-03-2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

hmm. do they come off? are they stuck on or part of the leaf? are
they hard shell scale or just ookiness from hard water? also, are they
stray potting bits that have gotten stuck on? i occaisionally am
given a heart attack by a stray piece of sphag that has lodged
somewhere and i think "eek! scale!" then i poke it and realize it's
sphag.

have you tried wiping yours off? water first, then rubbing alcohol.
see if it makes them run away.

--j_a
Old 18-03-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jane,
The spots may not have been caused by the same reason. In the lower
photo these white spots on top look like they have been there for at
least a while. They will remain on the leaf, no wiping them off. The
one spot seems to have a trail off the edge of the leaf. The plant has
grown on with a small indent at the edge. It could have just been an
inadvertent injury or scratch.
One thing to consider is that the orchid was visited by a slug. The
underside may have marks where the lil pest was munching? If there are
slugs hiding down in the media during the day, you can just set the
pot in water that covers all of the media. In about 15-30 minutes they
will at the top of the plant waiting for a helicopter to save them
from the flood! If it turns out be slugs you can use a product with
iron phosphate (such as Slug and Snail Bait distributed by Lilly
Miller Brands) to spread around the growing area.
Regards,

Old 18-03-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 18, 9:37 am, wrote:
hmm. do they come off? are they stuck on or part of the leaf? are
they hard shell scale or just ookiness from hard water? also, are they
stray potting bits that have gotten stuck on? i occaisionally am
given a heart attack by a stray piece of sphag that has lodged
somewhere and i think "eek! scale!" then i poke it and realize it's
sphag.

have you tried wiping yours off? water first, then rubbing alcohol.
see if it makes them run away.

--j_a

I could get most of them off but they were really stuck on there.
There was an indentation left from those that came off. I also
thought it might be potting medium, but I don't think it would get
that hard, would it?? I do sometimes spray the medium because the
bark chips just allow all the water to go right through. I use a mix
of chips and moss. I never get water on the leaves.

Good news is the plants are looking fine. Growing new spikes and
leaves.
Old 18-03-2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 18, 8:48 am, Jane wrote:

On Mar 17, 3:54 pm, wrote:

can you post a pciture over to abpo?

--j_a

Sorry. Should have done this first.

Photos he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/orchidspots.jpg

I looked under the leaves but saw nothing.
Old 18-03-2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have to agree with a previous poster, that not all of the spots look to
have the same cause. Most look like mechanical damage, to me, but if they
are coming off, that's not it. Sorry not to be of more help. Kenni

Old 19-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor[_2_] View Post

On Mar 18, 8:48*am, Jane wrote:
On Mar 17, 3:54 pm, wrote:

can you post a pciture over to abpo?

--j_a

Sorry. *Should have done this first.

Photos he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/orchidspots.jpg
Incidentally, can you buy Lilly Miller brands in the U.K.Brian

white spots on Phal leaves bob Orchids 2 03-03-2005 03:09 PM
roses - black spot on leaves..white spots on roses? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 25-06-2003 06:08 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM