Old 23-03-2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Agcm magdalenae

Anyone grow Angraecum magdalenae? I bought a freshly potted seedling a two
years ago from Cal Orchids and it went into a rapid decline. I was there
last year and saw their remaining stock was in a worse state than mine, so I
know it wasn't just me. LOL!!

The books say its from Madagascar, higher elevations and grows either
lithophytically or amongst leaf litter. I have mine in a 3" plastic pot in
straight small fir bark. Sitting in front of the swamp cooler. Probably
gets 57F at night and 80F days. Bright light. Watered like a cattleya.
Probably (realistically) humidity goes from 30% to 90%. The plant had a
leaf span of about 3-4 inches when I bought it and its about 2" now (tip to
tip).

I was going to give up and replace it, so I looked around for vendors.
Norman's says its warm to intermediate. Hoosiers says its intermediate to
cool (I believe Hoosiers because they bought Fred Hillerman's stock).

The Bakers on OW give the best culture advice, but I wondered about real
world experience, so I come here. Anyone grow 'em? If so, how far off am
I?

K Barrett

Old 23-03-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I can't say that I have bloomed mine but think it is light. It grows fine
but is hard to keep the leaves from shriveling unless I keep it under the
bench out of the sun and then it doesn't get enough light to bloom. I've
been looking at my angraecoids that survive and the ones that don't make it
come from lower elevations (warmer) climate. That's probably the winter
lows.

Your greenhouse temps are about the same as mine, mine go a littile lower
than yours in winter.

I'd take it away from the front of the swamp cooler. My feeling is that it
doesn't need as much air movement since the leaves are pretty thick. It is
a good place though for masdevallia etc.

I'd repot the plant. I use coco chips but bark is fine. It's hard to get
the roots into the mix as the ones in the pot tend to rot out and it's hard
to water the ones that stick out. Maybe soak them before.

You know the routine: food, light and water. The temps sound ok to me.

Paul
. ..

Old 23-03-2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:27:31 -0700, K Barrett wrote:
[...]

I bought one from Norman's about 6 mo ago, it is in spagnum with
SoCal costal climate and is doing well and growing so far.

Bob
Old 23-03-2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:27:31 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Anyone grow Angraecum magdalenae? I bought a freshly potted seedling a two
years ago from Cal Orchids and it went into a rapid decline. I was there
last year and saw their remaining stock was in a worse state than mine, so I
know it wasn't just me. LOL!!

I bought one from Mary at last year's sale. When I read her book on the
plant, I asked her if it would tolerate higher temps, and she said she grew
them warm.
The first plant declined, and when I checked the roots after a week, there
were none! Mary promptly replaced it with another plant, which has begun
doing fairly well in S/H. Now has two side growths.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 23-03-2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have them. I grow them warm and fairly sunny. They seem to like some
moisture in the mix, so I use a CHC compound that I make from CHC, sponge
rock, small Aliflor and charcoal. Unlike, say, eburneum, which has lighter
green leaves, magdalenae stays dark green regardless of how much sun it
gets, at least for me.

Gorgeous flower, and for us they perform more than once a year - a bonus.

Diana

.com...

Old 24-03-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Aah! Kathy, those africans are the love of my life! I have a hard time
growing them.
I had to check my data base & lo & behold I have bloomed Angcm. magdalenae
only once, got it from Rod Venger back
in 98 & it bloomed in June of 2003. It sits in a small pot on the bench to
the cooler side of the g/h.

Encyclopedia of Orchids by Alec Pridgeon says:-
It grows among rocks in leaf litter in the highlands of Madagascar, usually
in light shade.
In the wild plants endure a long cool dry season before flowering!!!!

I think I see my problem, seems like it needs a rest?
Good luck with yours,
Cheers Wendy

. ..

Old 24-03-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, it seems from people's experiences that a CHC-type medium and the
warmer side of the GH is best. I'm floored that Norman's sells them in
sphagnum moss, but there ya go.

I'll move it nearer the cattleya side of the GH and see if that makes any
difference.

Thansk to one an all who responded! I had no idea there were so many
angraecum aficionados here!

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Aah! Kathy, those africans are the love of my life! I have a hard time
growing them.
I had to check my data base & lo & behold I have bloomed Angcm. magdalenae
only once, got it from Rod Venger back
in 98 & it bloomed in June of 2003. It sits in a small pot on the bench to
the cooler side of the g/h.

Encyclopedia of Orchids by Alec Pridgeon says:-
It grows among rocks in leaf litter in the highlands of Madagascar,
usually in light shade.
In the wild plants endure a long cool dry season before flowering!!!!

I think I see my problem, seems like it needs a rest?
Good luck with yours,
Cheers Wendy

. ..

Old 24-03-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:01:56 -0700, K Barrett wrote:
Well, it seems from people's experiences that a CHC-type medium and the
warmer side of the GH is best. I'm floored that Norman's sells them in
sphagnum moss, but there ya go.

I also bought a Ang sesquipidale from Norman that is also in sphagnum
which is ready to be changed. I was thinking that perhaps primeagra
might be a better choice. I do know they don't like to have their
roots disturbed. Norman has very nice plants and hospital like
greenhouses.

Bob
Old 24-03-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
Well, it seems from people's experiences that a CHC-type medium and the
warmer side of the GH is best. I'm floored that Norman's sells them in
sphagnum moss, but there ya go.

I also bought a Ang sesquipidale from Norman that is also in sphagnum
which is ready to be changed. I was thinking that perhaps primeagra
might be a better choice. I do know they don't like to have their
roots disturbed. Norman has very nice plants and hospital like
greenhouses.

Bob

I've been to Norman's and agree about the cleanliness. I am just floored
that the real world experience differs so far from teh book-learning
experience. I'd never have expected these to like moss. I'd have thought
they wouldn't like the moisture so long at the roots or to be repotted as
frequntly as moss does (in my hands it gets sour fast)(crappy water) But
there ya go. Learn something new every day!

Old 24-03-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I had a magdalenae in S/H for a number of years.

White flowers bored me at the time, so I gave it away.

"tenman" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
I am just floored
that the real world experience differs so far from teh book-learning
experience. I'd never have expected these to like moss. I'd have
thought they wouldn't like the moisture so long at the roots or to be
repotted as frequntly as moss does (in my hands it gets sour fast)(crappy
water) But there ya go. Learn something new every day!

I was too, but then Tom Nasser from Carolina Orchids, the Agraecum guru on
the east coast, suggested a number of medium options including a
promix-based one. He said they actually like water, just good drainage,
and the promix type mixes have the advantage that at repotting time you
can just spray it off and not really disturb the roots very much. You can
even leave them in the same pot if they haven't outgrown it and just wash
out the old mix and shake in new.

I killed a lovely large Veitchii a couple years back. It was in a badly
broken down cattleya-type mix after about five years or so and I repotted
it. Dead within a two months. I didn't really expect it as I had repotted
it twice before and it had never shown any negative reaction at all. Go
figure.

Old 24-03-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I killed one real good. I transplanted in to an aeroponic system after it
sulked in a pot for a few years. It grew a few leaves and then sulked for a
while untill i accidently dropped something heavy( Stanhopea penelope i
think) on it.

. ..