Old 24-03-2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Xi is offline

Default back in action

Wow, it's been like years since I was part of this group. My provider
didn't allow subscriptions to groups, and I was surprised to come
across this group on google. I'm back, yay!

Not a lot has changed in terms of orchids for me - still addicted. I
moved, and started a new collection with mainly phal species. I left
my old hybrids with my parents, partly because I couldn't move them,
but partly because they were mostly aneuploid. The 2N species, I took
with me when I moved. So slowly, I'm building things up again.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 25-03-2008, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Xi is offline

Thanks! I remember almost everyone here. Some new faces though. Oh
my most exciting news is that I just acquired some nice blue phal
seedlings from Orchidview. Phal. violacae 'rachel's blue eyes x
gulfstream blue'! It'll be a couple of years at least before they
flower, but I hear that the rate of "blue" flowers is near 100%.
Anyone else here hopping on with the blue phalaenopsis trend?

Xi

Old 25-03-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Xi is offline

Hi Diana,

Really? Well a few years ago, they were quite quite rare, but a lot
of breakthroughs have been made in the last little while. "True"
blues are still unavailable, because the pigment just doesn't exist in
phals, must like true black phals will never be - just really really
dark plum. However, for some pretty close to blue phals, check out
http://www.orchidview.com/Phal_viola...na_gallery.htm

Xi

Old 25-03-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i got one at the WOC which purports to be blue; will have to see, if
it blooms, and doesn't die first.

--j_a
Old 25-03-2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The eternal optimist, eh?

Diana

Old 25-03-2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

well i already killed one violacea, and this new one's lost half its
leaves since i brought it home. the orchid gods may be trying to tell
me something.......

--j_a

Old 26-03-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Xi is offline

Well, not all crosses are equal. Some will almost always flower blue,
but others will almost always give you a range. The cross 'boden's
blue x gulfstream blue', for example, rarely will give you a deep
indigo flower, and most turn out to be regular magentas. However, I
believe the Krull-Smith cross give a relatively good "blue rate".

Xi