Old 27-03-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default *Al* Appreciation Thread!

This is a shout out to Friends of Al! Tell us your fondest memory, favorite
Al-ism, what you love about him, whatever.

Me first: I love his typos! Only he could get away with it.

Diana

Old 27-03-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Save the appreciation day until after my obituary is posted. (I wrote THAT
myself so it has all the good parts edited out.)

Old 27-03-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Everybody disserves his/her own appreciation day.

*Disserves* is but one example of the things I like about you! And no, I
will not behave and you can't make me. Nyanyanya!

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It was always intended to be a roast, ninny!

Diana

newsOVGj.4456$Dv5.4011@trnddc02...

Old 28-03-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default *Al* Appreciation Thread! Al's post in Nov 12 2001

He never got a dinner!!!!! Cheers Al, Wendy
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This questionnaire has been circulated many times in the last half decade.
But I will answer again. Some of my answers have changed and it is time to
update the form.

"Kye" wrote in message
u...
Who am I and What Is My Gender???

I am Al.

Where am I???

It appears to be the planet earth. Leesburg Virginia USA to be specific.

What do I grow???

Lots of things. Phals species are my biggest love. I have Big Plans for
breedings them. Big Plans.

The decade of my age???

The birth certificate puts me in my early 40s. But that refers only to
physical age. In mind and spirit there is conciderable vasscilation and I
would have a hard time pinning it down.

How long have I been growing orchids???

Since I was 16.

My biggest orchid accomplishment???

Two or so years ago I got the BIG greenhouse I have always wished for and
learned definitivly that it is true what they say: Be careful what you wish
for.

Miscellanious Info...

It makes me nervous to know that physcologists read what we write here.

I have a website/web business that supports my orchids but not me:
http://www.orchidexchange.com

I like to garden.

I have been stuck in this newsgroup for about 5 years now and still can't
find the door. On occasion I have claimed to be an Alien from Outer Space.
Strictly speaking, this is true. I have also claimed to play the fool but I
think of this role as being more like 'court jester' and don't mind at all
when others vie for the roles of village idiot or Supreme Monarch. It's fun
to watch. I always have appreciated the good advice people offer on orchids
and their culture to all the other stuff I find here. But I also know I am
a significant contributor of 'other stuff'. I have issues to work out.
Basically, this is a good group and the people who use it are good people.

Late at night when I can't sleep I like to re-read my posts to this
newsgroup and count the number of times I use the word "I". I find it
amusing.

Old 28-03-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Then there's this:

There once was a lady from venus
who grew orchids of ever-ry genus
"I've filled up the house
and tossed out the spouse
Cause only my plants come between us"

or maybe this one

There once was a lady from venus
who grew orchids of ever-ry genus
"I've filled up the house
Now out with you Spouse!
These orchids are better than.... umm...ahhh.... oh drat!

....I swear, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

Al

news

Old 28-03-2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Everybody disserves his/her own appreciation day.

*Disserves* is but one example of the things I like about you! And no, I
will not behave and you can't make me. Nyanyanya!

Diana

After the week Al's had I think he needs a cookie. These kick ass.

K Barrett

Triple-chocolate cookies - makes 26 cookies

The key to the fudgy texture is letting them cool on the baking sheets.

3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1 1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips - they like Hershey's special dark or
Ghiradelli double chocolate bittersweet chips

7 T unsalted butter, cut in pieces

2 t instant coffee

2 t vanilla

3 large eggs at room temp

1 c sugar

1/2 c all-purpose flour

1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

Melt unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chips and butter in heatproof bowl
set over saucepan of simmering water, stirring frequently, until just
completely smooth and glossy. Remove bowl from pan and set aside to cool
slightly.

Stir coffee powder and vanilla together in small bowl until dissolved.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at med-high speed
until very thick and pale - about 4 min.

Add vanilla-coffee mixture until incorporated - 20 sec.

Reduce speed to low, add chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined - 30
sec.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl.

Using large rubber spatula, fold flour mixture and semisweet chips into
batter.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temp for 20-30 min until
it firms up - it will more closely resemble thick brownie batter than cookie
dough.

Meanwhile, adjust 2 oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions and heat
oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 1 heaping T
batter per cookie, place 2" apart alternating rows 3,2,3,2,3 for 13 per
tray.

Bake until cookies are shiny and cracked on top, 11 to 14 min, rotating
sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking time. Transfer
baking sheets to racks and cool completely on racks before serving.

DO NOT OVERCOOK!

Old 28-03-2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Where did you find that, Wendy?! Did you save it, or just remember it and go
looking for it?

Vintage Al!

Diana

news

Appreciation Sue Solomon Roses 2 05-07-2004 10:02 PM
Hey, Corporate America! Show Taxpayers Some Appreciation! [email protected] Australia 0 16-04-2004 01:04 AM
Intro post of appreciation JEB Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 22-04-2003 07:08 PM
New Thread -- just to see if I can! Maryanne North Carolina 0 07-02-2003 09:08 PM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 04:29 PM