Old 28-03-2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default *Al* Appreciation Thread! Al's post in Nov 12 2001

ROFLMAO!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Then there's this:

There once was a lady from venus
who grew orchids of ever-ry genus
"I've filled up the house
and tossed out the spouse
Cause only my plants come between us"

or maybe this one

There once was a lady from venus
who grew orchids of ever-ry genus
"I've filled up the house
Now out with you Spouse!
These orchids are better than.... umm...ahhh.... oh drat!

...I swear, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

Al

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
He never got a dinner!!!!! Cheers Al, Wendy
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This questionnaire has been circulated many times in the last half
decade.
But I will answer again. Some of my answers have changed and it is time
update the form.

"Kye" wrote in message
u...
Who am I and What Is My Gender???

I am Al.

Where am I???

It appears to be the planet earth. Leesburg Virginia USA to be specific.

What do I grow???

Lots of things. Phals species are my biggest love. I have Big Plans for
breedings them. Big Plans.

The decade of my age???

The birth certificate puts me in my early 40s. But that refers only to
physical age. In mind and spirit there is conciderable vasscilation and
would have a hard time pinning it down.

How long have I been growing orchids???

Since I was 16.

My biggest orchid accomplishment???

Two or so years ago I got the BIG greenhouse I have always wished for and
learned definitivly that it is true what they say: Be careful what you
wish
for.

Miscellanious Info...

It makes me nervous to know that physcologists read what we write here.

I have a website/web business that supports my orchids but not me:
http://www.orchidexchange.com

I like to garden.

I have been stuck in this newsgroup for about 5 years now and still can't
find the door. On occasion I have claimed to be an Alien from Outer
Space.
Strictly speaking, this is true. I have also claimed to play the fool
but I
think of this role as being more like 'court jester' and don't mind at
all
when others vie for the roles of village idiot or Supreme Monarch. It's
fun
to watch. I always have appreciated the good advice people offer on
orchids
and their culture to all the other stuff I find here. But I also know I
am
a significant contributor of 'other stuff'. I have issues to work out.
Basically, this is a good group and the people who use it are good
people.

Late at night when I can't sleep I like to re-read my posts to this
newsgroup and count the number of times I use the word "I". I find it
amusing.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
news
This is a shout out to Friends of Al! Tell us your fondest memory,
favorite Al-ism, what you love about him, whatever.

Me first: I love his typos! Only he could get away with it.

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default *Al* Appreciation Thread!

Wasn't there something about blue spandex...?

I have absolutely no doubt that there was!

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hey Kathy is there anything you can't do? *G* Saved this recipe & named the
file
KBsKA Kookies
Cheers Wendy
"K Barrett" wrote in message
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Everybody disserves his/her own appreciation day.

*Disserves* is but one example of the things I like about you! And no, I
will not behave and you can't make me. Nyanyanya!

Diana

After the week Al's had I think he needs a cookie. These kick ass.

K Barrett

Triple-chocolate cookies - makes 26 cookies

The key to the fudgy texture is letting them cool on the baking sheets.

3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1 1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips - they like Hershey's special dark or
Ghiradelli double chocolate bittersweet chips

7 T unsalted butter, cut in pieces

2 t instant coffee

2 t vanilla

3 large eggs at room temp

1 c sugar

1/2 c all-purpose flour

1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

Melt unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chips and butter in heatproof bowl
set over saucepan of simmering water, stirring frequently, until just
completely smooth and glossy. Remove bowl from pan and set aside to cool
slightly.

Stir coffee powder and vanilla together in small bowl until dissolved.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at med-high speed
until very thick and pale - about 4 min.

Add vanilla-coffee mixture until incorporated - 20 sec.

Reduce speed to low, add chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined - 30
sec.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl.

Using large rubber spatula, fold flour mixture and semisweet chips into
batter.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temp for 20-30 min
until it firms up - it will more closely resemble thick brownie batter
than cookie dough.

Meanwhile, adjust 2 oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions and
heat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 1
heaping T batter per cookie, place 2" apart alternating rows 3,2,3,2,3 for
13 per tray.

Bake until cookies are shiny and cracked on top, 11 to 14 min, rotating
sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking time.
Transfer baking sheets to racks and cool completely on racks before
serving.

DO NOT OVERCOOK!

Old 28-03-2008, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oh it's just one I saved in my Who Are We File.
But somebody gave us step by step instructions on how to search the archives
&
guess what? I didn't save it!!!!
Cheers Wendy
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Where did you find that, Wendy?! Did you save it, or just remember it and
go looking for it?

Vintage Al!

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:53:37 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:
Wasn't there something about blue spandex...?

I have absolutely no doubt that there was!

I'm a cyclist and I'm just sick of spandex jokes
from my non cycling friends. What makes is worse
is I like orchids. :-/

Bob

Old 28-03-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

But Bob, this is about Al's blue spandex! That makes it extraterrestrial
spandex.

Whole 'nuther thing!

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You know, I think you might be right about the bunny suit. C'mon, Al, set us
straight here. Bunny suit or spandex? Or was it a blue spandex bunny suit
with aluminum rabbit ears?

Diana

Old 28-03-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

oh deeley bobbers were *definitely* involved.. i remember them
distinctly.

(you're never gonna sell me another plant ever again, are you al?

--j_a

Old 29-03-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Teetering on the edge of dignity, Al responds thusly: ;-)

you have to go back to May 25 1999 in the archives to find the truth about
the color and description of the costume being debated here. It was neither
purple nor spandex. It is in a thread called "help deflasking Phalaenopsis
seedlings" but it had turned into a flame war and so I figured I should
dress appropriately for it.

However as recently as Nov 4 2004 in a flame, ...er thread... called "New
2005 Orchid Species Calendar" I myself describe it as 'spandex' and remind
all the careful readers of this newsgroup of its true color .

In both the above threads I was wearing my three pointed jester hat with the
little bells on the tips. Tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. My antenna were probably
stuffed underneath. I suppose they do look a bit like aluminum rabbit ears.
If it comforts you earth people to believe that's all they are, I got no
problem with that. Fortunately the inflammation that prevents me from
retracting them has not been a problem for several years.

I gots no idea what is a "deeley bobbers."

The giant C amythstaglosa is at Pat's greenhouse. It was in full bloom. It
is a mess, but still intact. The mother of all Phal equestris 'kiekie
monsters' did not survive. It was hanging just beside one of the benches
that burned. However, I believe a whole tray of small kiekies I removed
from it in the fall survived and is probably in Pat's greenhouse someplace.

Old 29-03-2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:17:40 GMT, "Al Pickrel"
wrote:

The giant C amythstaglosa is at Pat's greenhouse. It was in full bloom. It
is a mess, but still intact. The mother of all Phal equestris 'kiekie
monsters' did not survive. It was hanging just beside one of the benches
that burned. However, I believe a whole tray of small kiekies I removed
from it in the fall survived and is probably in Pat's greenhouse someplace

Al of all the goofiness being dispensed here this is without a doubt
the best news yet. Perfect? Not by a long shot but hopeful none the
less, and nary a bit of Blue Spandex sacrificed either!

Cheers!

Dave
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 29-03-2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cookies

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:50:29 -0400, tenman wrote:

K Barrett wrote:
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message

Everybody disserves his/her own appreciation day.

*Disserves* is but one example of the things I like about you! And no, I
will not behave and you can't make me. Nyanyanya!

Diana

After the week Al's had I think he needs a cookie. These kick ass.

K Barrett

Triple-chocolate cookies - makes 26 cookies

Wow! Thanks for the recipe - they sound great! I saved it and some night
when I've got the baking urge, I'll have something special to make!

Tennis

I have only one word to say...

Chocolate!

Dave Drooling Fouchey
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR

Appreciation Sue Solomon Roses 2 05-07-2004 09:02 PM
Hey, Corporate America! Show Taxpayers Some Appreciation! [email protected] Australia 0 16-04-2004 12:04 AM
Intro post of appreciation JEB Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 22-04-2003 06:08 PM
New Thread -- just to see if I can! Maryanne North Carolina 0 07-02-2003 08:08 PM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 03:29 PM