Old 28-03-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Rhynchostylis question

I have a Rhynchostylis gigantea that has lost it's growing point and is now
dropping leaves. Does anyone know how, or have some ideas, to get it to
start a branch or new growth on the stem?

Bob

Old 29-03-2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have only managed to save a phal by scrubbing to firm hard tissue (IIRC
with a toothbrush) then pouring peroxide (straight from the bottle from the
drugstore) into the crown of the plant, if you have good roots the plant
should pup from the side. I know people who have cut down until they do not
see any discoloration in the central stalk, then peroxide, and keep fingers
crossed hoping for side branches. You could find out about plant hormones
like keiki paste that encourage side growths from the axial nodes. But if
the source of the infection hasn't been killed then bacteria (or whatever)
will spread through the system and kill your plant. IMHO if the infection
has been stopped then the otherwise healthy but decapitated plant has no
choice but to pup from the side.

K Barrett

Old 29-03-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Also keep the crown/treated area dryer, so if you usually place this under
the misters or in another automated water stream you may want to move it so
water doesnt' ruin all you hard work.

. ..

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I have a Rhynchostylis gigantea that has lost it's growing point and is
now dropping leaves. Does anyone know how, or have some ideas, to get it
to start a branch or new growth on the stem?

Bob

RE Rhynchostylis gigantea question Bob Walsh Orchids 1 08-05-2008 04:37 PM
Rhynchostylis gigantea samaki Orchids 24 25-02-2004 01:18 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 05:13 AM
Rhynchostylis care questions Sarah Huff Orchids 20 02-12-2003 12:12 PM
Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions Susan Jeffrey Orchids 4 21-11-2003 12:32 AM