Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Faz Faz is offline

Default Environment

A novice is asking what the ideal environment for orchids should be. I think
that is why my orchids only bloom every second year.

Faz.....Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

not being evasive, but--

depends on the plant. these silly weeds grow in every environment
from equatorial sea level right up to the edge of the arctic (and
probably further, but it's too cold to go look.

seriously, some of them can't handle more than a five degree
temperature range, others go from freezing to baking and back again
every 24 hrs. high light, low light, no light. wet every day to bone
dry 4 months out of the year.

go he

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...ContentID=3342

or he

http://www.baileyorchids.com/types.html

and see if you recognize what types of plants you have, and then we
can give you an idea of what the conditions should be like.

--j_a
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--and if you can't see the binaries news groups, go he

https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/

for a mirror to abpo; browse thru a couple pages of postings and see
if you see any plants that look like yours. (or you could join and
post a photo of yours from there.)

--j_a
Old 05-04-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Tropical..................*G*

Cheers Wendy

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 5, 8:38*am, "Faz" wrote:
A novice is asking what the ideal environment for orchids should be. I think
that is why my orchids only bloom every second year.

Faz.....Thanks.

I call muself a bit of an orchid-doofus as my orchids survivied years
if neglect and slowed their lowering when in a burst of interest I
started trying to look after them.What I'm saying is that they are a
pretty hardy plant, given the obvious protection from extremes of
weather. Mine survived outside under the eaves where severe frosts
couldn't get them and their only other need that was met was rain
reaching them.
But inside the house I recommend standing them in your bathroom where
the steam from the shower etc will make them happy. Shift them to
sunny spots in summer (the sun is what tells them to start
flowering).Spray with an insect oil in autumn before flowers spikes
get covered with scale insects etc.
That's the basics of what I've done and my orchids have survived in
spite of my care!