Old 23-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Source for Paraphalaenopsis

My new favorite orchid (at least for now) is the Paraphalaenopsis. I
purchased labukensis last winter and lost the laycockii (never took root).
I bought the crosses that RF Orchids were selling.

I would like to have all 4 species. Does anyone know of a source for these
interesting plants?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 23-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

I am happy to say I have all 4 Paraphalaenopsis species in flasks.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...alog.html#Para
I like them a lot also.

Paraphals are manly man orchids... roof, roof (like comedian Tim Allen would
do in his act).

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

news

Old 23-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Elpaninaro

I would like to have all 4 species. Does anyone know of a source for these
interesting plants?

Not sure what he has at the moment, but Bill Tippit of Olympia Orchids usually
has a very impressive array of these.

I believe most are collected species, but the roots are very good (I have
visited the greenhouses and seen them), and he has also done some crosses with
them.

olympiaorchids.com if I recall correctly.

Tom.
Old 23-04-2003, 07:20 AM
A. N.

GOOD LUCK FINDING DENEVEI(ADULT)
I GOT ALL THE OTHER 3 BUT THAT ONES HAS SCAPE MY GRIP SO FAR
I SEE THERE IS FLASK OF DENEVEI NOW.

Old 23-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Al

serpentilingua
labukensis
laycockii
denevei

in your searching you may also come across plants labeled as thorntonii.
This has been determined to be the natural hybrid (serpentilingua x denevei)
AKA Ppls. Sunny in registration, but it does exist in the wild along with
the other four and is worth possessing...

Good luck on your shopping spree...
I managed to acquire all of the above from a combination of RF Orchids and
Dowery Orchids

Old 23-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Mick,

How long would you expect to grow a blooming sized plant from flask? The
labukensis I have has over 4 feet long leaves!

How would you unflask a paraphal? Since they hang down I am trying to
picture them as a small plant in a compot.

Gene

Old 23-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Al,

I just received Paraphal. Sunny from RF Orchids (along with the other two
hybrids he listed). I did see in my searches that Sunny is a natural hybrid
as you mentioned.

I contacted Dwayne at Dowery and he said only his labukensis (which I
purchased from him) is worth selling at this point. His other plants need
more time to get established.

I guess the size of these beauties limit their appeal. They don't fit the
potted plant trade. That makes them somewhat difficult to find someone who
carries them.

Gene

Old 23-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Gene Schurg

Tom,

Thanks for the lead. He does list three of the four species. They are a
bit pricey...I may have to break my $50 rule.

Gene

Old 23-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

You could easily grow them in a compot pointing up for the first 6 months.
I have then taken clay pots and split them in half top to bottom and tied
the plants to the interior portion (of the pot) for the roots to attach to
the clay surface. I have tied some lava rocks in the pot also as you can
see in this picture. The leaves are pointed downward in the pots.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...l_labu_pot.jpg

For deflasking read:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../qanda.html#Q8

Out of flask the denevei will take 4 years to bloom... the other three could
produce flowers in three years.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

rthlink.net...

Old 23-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Gene Schurg

K,

On his web page he only advertises the hybrids (that I've already bought).
He doesn't list any species.

Gene

Old 23-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Bob Walsh

Gene,

David Hunt has Para serpentilingua on his new list for upcoming imports. His
address is

Old 23-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Yeah.....The species must be sold out.

Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Doesn't Fuchs still have them?

K Barrett

news My new favorite orchid (at least for now) is the Paraphalaenopsis.

Old 24-04-2003, 03:44 AM
profpam

K,
David Hunt has Paraphal serpentilingua @ 19.50 on his Indonesia list.
His email is:
" You can also get an
inexpensive flask or two from Mick Fournier at
http://www.orchidflask.com or a couple of the mounted ones from Miller
Orchids in Florida. I bought a flask of lukenbachensis from a different
vendor and they were too small to deflask and replating was recommended.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Doesn't Fuchs still have them?

K Barrett

news My new favorite orchid (at least for now) is the Paraphalaenopsis. I