GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using florists` foam with orchids? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/173293-using-florists%60-foam-orchids.html)

Kate 20-04-2008 10:10 PM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

It occurred to me that the foam that florists use for live flower
arrangements holds a great deal of water and I was wondering if a disc of it
in the bottom of a pot, with expanded clay pellets as the growing medium
would work. The foam should keep the pellets moist. Or, pieces of the foam
mixed in with clay pellets? It wouldn`t drown the roots, but water would be
available. Trouble is, I don`t know how soon the foam would break down. Any
thoughts for or against, please?

Kate

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 20-04-2008 10:39 PM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

Kate,

It sounds to me like you're reinventing the semi hydro wheel! Go to First
Rays and read about SH:

www.firstrays.com

Diana

Kate 20-04-2008 11:45 PM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

It was First Rays` method that gave me the idea. I live in the UK, and am
not sure if he posts his special pots internationally. Also, I suspect that
the cost of currency conversion and carriage would far exceed that of the
pots themselves. I see that his pots have drainage holes well up the sides
to provide a reservoir for the clay pellets to soak up, and as I cannot get
that kind of thing over here, I thought the foam might be an alternative.

Kate

. ..

tenman 21-04-2008 12:35 AM

Kate wrote:
It was First Rays` method that gave me the idea. I live in the UK, and am
not sure if he posts his special pots internationally. Also, I suspect
that
the cost of currency conversion and carriage would far exceed that of the
pots themselves. I see that his pots have drainage holes well up the sides
to provide a reservoir for the clay pellets to soak up, and as I cannot get
that kind of thing over here, I thought the foam might be an alternative.

Kate

Oh, but Kate you can get something just like them. Go to a restaurant
supply shop and get some deli containers in the appropriate size. It
won't run much - say, around 3 euros for 25 of them. Then take a
soldering iron and burn your holes in yourself. I don't know if tyhey'll
be quite as durable, but they should hold up for a couple years at least.

Ray B 21-04-2008 01:25 AM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

Kate,

Everything you've gotten in a response so far is dead on.

The only real issue with floral foam is the density and release
characteristics. In direct contact with cut inflorescences, it's great,
if they were roots, not so good. In contact with the LECA, it's not so
good, either. OK, but not great.

"tenman" wrote in message
.. .

Kate 21-04-2008 01:54 AM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

That`s disappointing, as I thought it was a great idea! ;-)

I shall see if there is a restaurant supply shop in my area to follow up on
"tenman`s" suggestion, so thanks for that. I know that I could use other
plastic containers, like paint pots, but they are opaque and not very
attractive either.

Thanks for the replies.
Kate

"Ray B" wrote in message
Kate,

Everything you've gotten in a response so far is dead on.

The only real issue with floral foam is the density and release
characteristics. In direct contact with cut inflorescences, it's great,
if they were roots, not so good. In contact with the LECA, it's not so
good, either. OK, but not great.

"tenman" wrote in message
.. .

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 21-04-2008 09:01 PM

Using florists` foam with orchids?

Remember that you can put those unattractive pots in decorative containers,
as long as there is air circulation. In lieu of a restaurant supply house,
you can use the plastic containers from markets (the ones that carry olives
and other bulk goods).

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
Kate,

Everything you've gotten in a response so far is dead on.

The only real issue with floral foam is the density and release
characteristics. In direct contact with cut inflorescences, it's
great,
if they were roots, not so good. In contact with the LECA, it's not so
good, either. OK, but not great.

"tenman" wrote in message
.. .