Old 25-04-2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default scary s/h situation

ok, ray, what am i doing wrong here? i have a phrag ('katahdin
sunset') in s/h in a 4.5 inch translucent pot; it seemed very happy in
there, until i noticed it was getting wobbly and the new growths
started madly putting out roots. i poked around a bit last night and
the old roots seem rotted, and there's some awfully scary-looking
stuff that i think is *mold* in the bottom of the pot. am soaking
some primeagra right now (the smelly belgian stuff and am going to
yank it out and give it fresh medium and maybe even a fresh pot
tomorrow, and then try and bake/bleach/napalm the old medium for
future use, but what, if anything, should i do to keep this from
happening again? should i be periodically flushing with something?
i've got algae in pretty much all the s/h pots, but i don't care about
it if the plants don't; i think this is the first mold i've seen.
plants get flooded once a week and then a topoff in the middle of the
week if the reservoirs are dry. eastern windowsill in MD 6b. thx in
advance.

--j_a
Old 25-04-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The old roots are expected to
fail over time, and the new roots will be more-perfectly tailored to the new
environment, so will take over.

I have found that if I water frequently enough, the old, decomposed root
bits just wash out of the pot.

Also, it is a good idea to water more frequently than when the reservoir is
dry. Through the respiration processes that occur and the selective
absorption of nutrients, the chemistry in the pot changes with tiem.
Watering more frequently returns the environment back to the desired
"baseline".

Old 25-04-2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

thanks. i have the psychopsis and the wilsonara recently in s/h and
am flooding them 2x/week (cuz the damn wilsonara is trying to shrivel
up and die); i'll just try taking everybody to the sink for a dunk on
wednesdays as well.

--j_a

Old 25-04-2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

it's got a big bunch of roots; it was potted in straight charcoal,
which is why i thought it would be happy in the s/h. the oncidinae
just shrivel up and die as soon as i bring them into my house. i
don't know why i bother anymore.....

the wilsonara is, however, trying to grow 2 new pbulbs, so i'm hoping
it hangs in there long enough for the new pups to get roots out into
the medium; i think they'll be ok after that.

i have a sharry baby that was doing the SU&D routine in every medium i
put it in 'til i tried s/h; it perked up visibly after a couple weeks
and is now on its 2d or 3d new growth in this pot. so here's hoping
the wilsonara will catch a clue....

--j_a

Old 26-04-2008, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My biggest problem with wilsonaras is the temperature tolerance - they are
simply too cool-blooded for my conditions, despite and supplementary cooling
that may be occurring from the pot.

Old 26-04-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ooh! I just watered, and I see some green root tips inside the
wilsonara pot! And I think some of the psychopsis roots are greening
too! -happy orchid dancing-

Ray, it tkae it your plants are in a GH? Hopefully my windowsill will
stay cool enough for the W...

--j_a