Old 25-04-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paphs/Repot

All,

I don't have many Paphs - a half dozen or so. But I'd like to do more.
Recently we repotted all of them. The root systems looked great (Oh happy
day!). I put them in CHC/charcoal/small Aliflor/sponge rock and top dressed
with some crushed oyster shell.

Some are okay. Not fantastic, but okay. Others simply look like they're
fainting all over the place, limp as soft butter. Prior to repotting, they
all looked good.

Any thoughts?

Diana

Old 26-04-2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Remember that we grow outside, so it depends on the weather. It's been dry,
so a couple of times a week lately. I don't ever over water. If anything,
I'm stingy that way. But I'm wondering if these guys need a serious bath to
get them going again. They weren't dried out when I repotted, and the CHC
wicks up water quite well. Still....

Diana

Old 26-04-2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Remember that we grow outside, so it depends on the weather. It's been dry,
so a couple of times a week lately. I don't ever over water. If anything,
I'm stingy that way. But I'm wondering if these guys need a serious bath to
get them going again. They weren't dried out when I repotted, and the CHC
wicks up water quite well. Still....

Diana

Take a representative plant out of pot at once and check the roots. It
won't hurt it and you need to know if the roots are rotting and if so,
overwatering them now will be the kiss of death. Note the moisture level
of the mix. If the roots are good, I would suggest (assuming they are
loosely in the mix rather than tightly packed) they could use some TLC,
including copious watering.

Other thought: has the CHC been soaked to leach out salts? If not, the
salt levels will kill the roots. I don't know if you are used to using
CHC or not.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
Old 26-04-2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Have you considered semi-hydroponics for them?

They were actually the first plants I used when I began experimenting with
the idea, and they seem to thrive.

"tenman" wrote in message
news:1ZKdnWNMwIMHAo_VnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old 26-04-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

SH saved my one and only awarded paph. Having said that I don't grow much
of anything in SH. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm a bark kinda person. But
as bark becomes unavailable I guess I'll have to shift to something else.

Diana, remember its OK to unpot paphs as Tennis said. If you read Bob
Wellensteins paph pages you'll see that he and Lynn often used to pot and
unpot paphs until the sat right in the pot for them. You'd never do that to
a cattleya for example. (ladyslipper.org, IIRC. might be .com) The Tonkins
used to repot every 6 months in plain straight fine bark, no additives.

I'd wonder about the salt in the CHC, too. That's why I don't use it (too
lazy to leach it properly) Also new medium is more open and airy than the
old broken down stuff, so routine watering habits might not be enough for
freshly repotted plants. Or maybe the new medium is just plain too open for
them in the first place (too chunky and not fine enough).

Why did you change potting medium? Can't get it anymore? (Just a question,
I know it sounds challenging when read but I don't mean it that way.)

K Barrett

Old 26-04-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

See, Kath? Those are some of the reasons I prefer S/H -

* The medium is consistent and available

* Freshly repotted or in there for 5 years (yes, I've done that), the
conditions are pretty much the same.

* Same is true for just watered and a few days from then.

Old 26-04-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I agree Ray. But having said that I've also seen quite a few plants grown
in S/H that have been very wilted... I think the owner doesn't understand
something about the technique - like its OK to water the freaking heck out
of their orchids becasue the holes in the side of the pot don't allow you to
overwater. There's no way to overwater. And I think the flushing action
brings air and fresh water to the roots. Gavino Rotor wrote an article for
teh AOS Bulletin in the 50s standing phals in water (sort of like how phrags
are grown) and the ones with the reservoir grew bigger and better than ones
grown conventionally.

Like I say I'm not sure why I'm not using s/h more. I've gone to using teh
Santa Barbara Orchid Estate method of placing the 4" pot inside a 6" pot and
infilling with gravel (speaking SOLELY of cattleyas here) which their roots
seem to like. All I need to add is the resrevoir and it'd be pseudo-S/H.
The reservoisr would probably make my life easier in terms of keeping the
collection moist, too. (Why am I having such a hard time spelling
reservoir? LOL!)

The paph has been in s/h for many years too with no ill effects. If
anything its doing better. I have a few chinese cyms in s/h too.

K Barrett

Old 26-04-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks, T, but they were repotted about 2 weeks ago and the roots were quite
good. That's when the trouble started. And it's not all of them.

I use quite a bit of CHC, for Oncids, Catt seedlings, some Epis and Enc's
too. I always soak, rinse and repeat before using it. And I lighten it up
with small Aliflor, sponge rock, charcoal and sometimes add a little spagnum
too.

Diana

Old 26-04-2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If my conditions were different I'd do more S/H. So much of our stuff (most)
is exposed to whatever the weather brings. So while overwatering is never a
problem with S/H, fertilizer levels wouldn't be consistent due to rain.

I did try a Paph in S/H long ago, before I knew much about Paphs at all (not
that I'm terribly knowledgeable about them now!). It was a seedling, and I
think the fact that I lost it had more to do with its tiny root system than
the way it was grown.

I do have an area where I can control rainfall. If these guys don't perk up,
I may pull a couple and try the S/H again. I have all the stuff, so why not?

Diana

Old 26-04-2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Why did you change potting medium? Can't get it anymore? (Just a
question, I know it sounds challenging when read but I don't mean it that
way.)

It doesn't sound challenging at all. It's a valid question. Two were in
broken down spag. The others were in straight bark. I do use spag, but less
and less now, as the quality just isn't the same anymore. As far as bark,
I've never been able to get a good feel for it, so I just don't use it at
all.

Think I'll post a pic over at abpo so you can see what I'm talking about.

Diana

K Barrett

Old 28-04-2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paphs/Repot Update

Well, today I yanked one of the offending (offended??) Paphs. Dry as a bone,
despite having been watered well on Friday. Roots are still robust. Guess
I've been even stingier with the H20 than I thought. They all got a nice
warm bath today.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

Diana

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
Problem with Paphs TRAINMAN9 Orchids 1 16-03-2003 05:32 AM
Paphs in Vietnam, where to buy(markets)? Jonathan Phua Orchids 3 20-02-2003 11:03 AM
paphs v. phrags Cardigan Orchids 2 12-02-2003 11:25 AM