GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   vermiculite (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/174090-vermiculite.html)

[email protected] 08-05-2008 08:45 PM

vermiculite

uncle cecil on vermiculite:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=35503

--j_a

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 08-05-2008 10:34 PM

vermiculite

Well, that's not particularly good news, now is it? Vermiculite is in most
potting mixes for those *other* plants. Wonder if it's in some of the
commercially mixed orchid stuff?

For my part, I mix my own orchid media, so it's not an issue unless we're
working on other potted plants, which is not common.

Diana

unknown[_1_] 09-05-2008 01:06 AM

vermiculite

i remembered that either vermiculite or perlite was a problem, but i
couldn't remember which.

are there problems with perlite?

oh, and potting soil can give you legionnaire's disease. :)

--j_a

Ray B 09-05-2008 01:41 AM

vermiculite

If you want to look at details, ALL media components are a risk, to some
extent.

Perlite is almost 100% silica, which can cause silicosis. Same is true of
diatomite.

Be smart in how you handle it and all will be well.

I worked with uranium- and thorium oxides in college, both toxic as hell,
but I'm still here to talk about it - because I took relevant and
appropriate precautions. Hell, trichosporosis - a fungal infection from
sphagnum - is a bigger threat.

(And no, my recent "episode" with melanoma was not related to any of the
above)

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 09-05-2008 02:06 AM

vermiculite

Sage advice, Ray. That's why I *always* wear gloves, and change them often.
I wish I could convince Frank to do the same.

Diana

tenman 09-05-2008 03:29 AM

vermiculite

wrote:
uncle cecil on vermiculite:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=35503

--j_a

I quit using the medium my plants liked the most years back due to
health concerns; rockwool. The plants LOVED it but with the number of
polants I had, I was speiding three solid weeks repotting and could
hardly breathe after a day of it even WITH a dust mask.