GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Top Ten (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/17415-top-ten.html)

John Mallery 24-04-2003 01:44 AM

Top Ten

In various articles I have seen people mention the "top ten" orchids - must
haves for every collection. They are essentially plants that are easy to
grow and have some outstanding features - color, fragrance, amount of
flowers etc. Usually people mention, Brassavola nodosa, Neofinetia falcata,
Oncidium Sharry Baby, etc. Would anyone like to mention their top ten, top
five or top one. Just curious what the responses might be - I suppose it
depends on your own growing conditions, space, etc. Feel free to respond to
me directly at if you are reluctant to post to
the group. Thanks in advance for any replies.

John

--
John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener

Mick Fournier 24-04-2003 03:56 AM

Top Ten

John the Juggler,

You obviously missed the thread from just April 7...

Cattleya dowiana
Neofinetia falcata
Polyrrhiza lindeni
Phalaenopsis violacea var coerulea
Cattleya lueddemanniana
Paphiopedilum philipenense
Brassavola nodosa
Cattleya hardyana
Paraphalaenopsis denevei
Vanda coerulecens

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

Cardigan 24-04-2003 04:32 AM

Top Ten

I love this question! Here's my list:

Encyclia phoenicia
Paph. Winston Churchill "Indomitable"
Phrag. Paul Eugene Conroy
Dend. canaliculatum
Phal. Brother Zip
Phal. violacea Borneo
Slc. Jewel Box - either Sheherezade or Dark Waters

Sarah

Take off the sweater to reply.

Gene Schurg 24-04-2003 04:44 AM

Top Ten

10???

You can't pick just 10......that's like asking a mother which child she
likes best!

And besides that the 10 I'd pick today wouldn't have been the 10 I'd pick
last year.

Gene

Andrew 24-04-2003 05:56 AM

Top Ten

Cardigan wrote:

I love this question! Here's my list:

Encyclia phoenicia
Paph. Winston Churchill "Indomitable"
Phrag. Paul Eugene Conroy
Dend. canaliculatum
Phal. Brother Zip
Phal. violacea Borneo
Slc. Jewel Box - either Sheherezade or Dark Waters

Sarah

Did you forget three or is this the top ten for significant
others? ie you actually come home with ten but you tell them
you only bought seven. ;-)

My preferences are mainly for cool growing species due to my
climate. My list in no real order:
Cymbidium Sarah Jean (lots of good clones but my favourites
are 'ice cascade' and 'peach')
Diuris orientis/corymbosa
Dendrobium kingianum (you could make a top ten out of its
clones alone)
Thelymitra nuda (a fairly easy, large, blue sun orchid)
Sarcochilus hartmannii
Sarcochilus Shooting Star
Pterostylis baptistii (the form from Gosford NSW is without
doubt the best)
Pleione formosana
Masdevallia veitchiana
Dendrobium Hilda Poxon (again lots of excellent clones)

John Mallery 24-04-2003 08:56 AM

Top Ten

Wow - Thelymitra nuda, Pterostylis baptistii - definitely beautiful orchids,
but where can one get them in the States?

I had a feeling this would be a fun post...it has received more responses
than any of my previous posts. Looking for ways to help "newbies" get
hooked. It is always nice to get your first several orchids to bloom...

thanks for the responses...

John Mallery 24-04-2003 09:08 AM

Top Ten

Yes, I missed the thread on April 7 - a little traveling keeps me away from
the group on occassion - thanks for the response. Polyrrhiza lindeni? - I
have heard rumors this is hard to grow - it is definitely on my want list,
but I have stayed away from it because of these rumors.

John Mallery 24-04-2003 09:08 AM

Top Ten

Excellent point - last year I was not too fond of Cattleyas - now it seems
that is all I am purchasing.

rthlink.net...

Mick Fournier 24-04-2003 02:08 PM

Top Ten

John,

Yes, the Polyrrhiza lindeni is reserved for orchid growing aficionados who
know/appreciate the finer things in life and want to put some extra energy
into the process of acquiring them. You should probably steer clear of
them... because of the rumors, of course.

Mick

PS, the movie adaptation is based on this orchid
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...ion/index.html

Susan Erickson 24-04-2003 03:20 PM

Top Ten

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:50:33 +1000, Andrew
wrote:

My preferences are mainly for cool growing species due to my

climate. My list in no real order:
Cymbidium Sarah Jean (lots of good clones but my favourites
are 'ice cascade' and 'peach')
Diuris orientis/corymbosa
Dendrobium kingianum (you could make a top ten out of its
clones alone)
Thelymitra nuda (a fairly easy, large, blue sun orchid)
Sarcochilus hartmannii
Sarcochilus Shooting Star
Pterostylis baptistii (the form from Gosford NSW is without
doubt the best)
Pleione formosana
Masdevallia veitchiana
Dendrobium Hilda Poxon (again lots of excellent clones)

You have several unheard of around here. We need you on A.B.P.O.
with your photos, so we can all learn to enjoy these.
SuE

sneff 24-04-2003 06:44 PM

Top Ten

"Andrew" wrote in message
Cardigan wrote:

[...]

Oh Andrew,

I really like your taste. I take it you are from Australia? Have you ever
had anything to do with an ANOS (Australian Native Orchid Society) group?

sneff

Eric Hunt 25-04-2003 06:32 AM

Top Ten

Andrew,

The Aussie species are fabulous, but they're nigh near impossible to find
here in the States. The most common we have are the various Pterostylis
species.

I'd love to see a Thelymitra up close and in person! Followed closely by any
Corybas species.

-Eric in SF

Andrew 25-04-2003 02:44 PM

Top Ten

John Mallery wrote:

Wow - Thelymitra nuda, Pterostylis baptistii - definitely beautiful orchids,
but where can one get them in the States?

Apparently SouthWest Orchids in Oklahoma imports for
Adelaide Orchids. They claim to sell Aussie terrestrials on
their website but I think they're sold seasonally (probably
in summer as tubers). Going by what is stocked by Adelaide
Orchids, they should sell Ptst baptistii and Diuris orientis
(probably under the older name of D.corymbosa). They may not
sell T.nuda as tubers but they may have it in flask.
However, they should have some Thelymitra hybrids as tubers.