Old 14-05-2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchid Greenhouse

I am considering building a greenhouse for my orchids. It is the humidity
that I want/need. Living in Southern California, low temperatures are not
much of a problem.

Also, seems like most orchid growers in the area (Normans, SBOE) use shade
cloth or opal translucent polycarbonate panels overhead.

I am looking for a greenhouse kit with these opal translucent polycarbonate
panels for the roof. All that I can find seem to use clear panels.

What are you folks using? Clear glass/polycarbonate with shadecloth or opal
panels?

Also seems that clear glass would make the GH hotter than heck, even with
the use of shadecloth.

Thanks for any advice.

Vito

Old 14-05-2008, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I always vote for shadecloth, as it can be changed or removed, depending
upon your needs. If you start out with a permanent reduction, such as
tinted glazing, you're stuck with it!

The best shade scenario is twofold: 1) Aluminet 2) supported 6" or so
above the greenhouse roof.

Aluminet is aluminum-coated Mylar, so it is very effective in reflecting the
light and heat away - much better than pigmented polymer fabrics.

Putting the cloth outside of the greenhouse is always better than inside, as
part of the attenuation process absorbs and converts some of the light into
heat, and it's better to keep that outside. An air gap between the cloth
and the roof allows it to dissipate more easily.

If you MUST put it inside, then going with the Aluminet is a "must"/

Old 14-05-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

They probably get their polycarb from someplace like Farmtek
http://www.farmtek.com

When I built my GH I took the position that I wanted to have the most light
available, figuring I could always subtract light by using shadecloth, but I
could never add light, and since light is the limiting factor in getting
blooms I went with clear dualpane polycarbonate. You might want to look at
this page at the Farmtek site.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...cessories.html

There are loads of sites on the web that discuss GH siting and construction.
Charley's GH has a lot of info about building a GH and sells overpriced
kits. Costco has decent prices and packages on their GH kits. Sundance
Supplies has a ton of info incase you want to build/design your own (you
have to dig around to find his info on construction, IIRC its under FAQ, but
look for yourself.). http://www.sundancesupply.com/index2.html

What ****ed me off about kits (and why I decided to build my own) was
becasue (at that time) the kits cost thousands of dollars and all you got
was the exterior building. No benches, no fans, no nothing. I figured for
the same thousands of dollars I could buy wood and build it myself, bigger,
taller and cheaper. Which I did. But that ain't for everyone. Nowadays
kits are cheap. I saw one at Harbor Freight 10x12 and 11 feet tall for
about $700. You can't beat that. Not with a stick Plus sometimes you can
get a 15% off coupon in their flyer. Now that's cooking with gas!

K Barrett

Old 14-05-2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dear Uncle Vito,
Yes a greenhouse here in S.Calif., will certainly give you some
humidity.
I will say this first, the cost of the g/h is nothing, it's all the
equipment inside needed to
simulate a decent environment to grow plants that costs.

We live about halfway between LA & San Diego, 7 miles from the coast so
do get a little sea breeze.
Anyway, I have "opaque" polycarb on one greenhouse roof with clear sides
& still are covered with (shadecloth @ 65%) finer that the weaved stuff you
can buy at H/D etc.
My shadecloth lets in good light & cuts down the heat by 10 degrees. I had
shadecloth custom made complete with
grommets & reinforced hemmed edges.
I have read the the polycarb sheets are coated with a UV ray protectant
that only lasts 10 years or so? I don't know
how true this is???
I have gas heaters for winter, & swampcoolers for summer.
Fans blowing 24/7, misters & fresh air. Timers,
thermostats, autovents etc., all add up but in the end it's worth it as it's
my hobby. My hubby's hobby is cars!!!!
Costco has some good prices right now on kits. Don't forget
there's the foundation, raised sidings (pony rails) optional,
have gas, water & electric piped in. Oh by the way, my 1st green house was a
used SunGlo found for sale in the PennySaver,
paid $150 for 8 x 10 was able to build on to it at a later time.
One more thing, one summer the electricity went out at noontime & the temps
went up to 110 degrees inside the green house!
Had to open up & just wet the place down.
Good luck,
Cheers Wendy

Old 14-05-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:27:31 -0700, Uncle_vito wrote
(in article ) :

I am considering building a greenhouse for my orchids. It is the humidity
that I want/need. Living in Southern California, low temperatures are not
much of a problem.

Also, seems like most orchid growers in the area (Normans, SBOE) use shade
cloth or opal translucent polycarbonate panels overhead.

I am looking for a greenhouse kit with these opal translucent polycarbonate
panels for the roof. All that I can find seem to use clear panels.

What are you folks using? Clear glass/polycarbonate with shadecloth or opal
panels?

Up here we have both extreme heat (2-3 weeks or so 100š in Summer) and some
cold (2-3 weeks or so of frost with 20s and 30s in Winter).
I built a Charley's Greenhouse Solar Gro kit with polycarbonate twin wall, a
gravel floor, an under bench misting system, and an exhaust fan. I also use a
metallic shade screen during the Summer.
This has kept my orchids alive without a cooler except when a power failure
and surge triggered the GFCI while I was away for a weekend.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 14-05-2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tbell wrote:
[...]

The biggest problem I have with the kits is the glazing I have seen on
them is awfully thin. A friend nearby spends quite a lot trying to heat
her Charley's aluminum-framed one here in Ohio; the glazing while
doublewall isn't a very good insulator because it's so flimsy and the
aluminum doesn't help much either, being a good conductor of heat out
of the GH, as is the concrete slab its on. I went with building my own
wood frame over an insulated (on the outside) foundation with triple
wall glazing that is about twice as thick as her glazing. I also
atttached it to the house. As a result, the 24x14 structure is pretty
cheap to heat and though the glazing only admits about 85% of the
ambient light I still need 50% shadecloth in the spring/summer/fall to
keep most plants from burning and of course it helps the evap cooler do
its job, too.
Old 15-05-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

A friend helped me build a shelving systemg. It consists of five steps
up,
made with (at that time) treated lumber slats. There are two sections,
each
six feet long and just less than five feet high. This allows about a
two-foot
access space between the sections and at the ends.

Chris, I wouldn't mind seeing this system over on abpo, if you have time to
take the photos and post them. I'm having a hard time picturing it, and I'm
always looking for ways to increase my space.

Diana

Old 15-05-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article ,
"Diana Kulaga" wrote:

A friend helped me build a shelving systemg. It consists of five steps
up,
made with (at that time) treated lumber slats. There are two sections,
each
six feet long and just less than five feet high. This allows about a
two-foot
access space between the sections and at the ends.

Chris, I wouldn't mind seeing this system over on abpo, if you have time to
take the photos and post them. I'm having a hard time picturing it, and I'm
always looking for ways to increase my space.

Diana

I use pre cut step boards to create step up units...mine are 4, 5 and 6
steps high. I also use plastic lattice as a roof over my orchids (about
60% shade. Each unit is built 4 x 8 feet in size. In the spring the
shelf boards (which are held in place by gravity) are removed and we
carry the units out of the greenhouse around to the east side of the
house and set them up in the weather for the summer. I have 4 units that
we move each spring and fall. I use the lattice "roof" in the spring to
start seedlings of tomatoes and other garden plants - this helps cut the
direct sunlight at mid day more..

End view...

---------------- Lattice roof
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 2 x 4 on edge every 4 feet
X X 2 x 4 vertical every 4 feet
X X
X X
==== X top shelf
PPPP ==== X
X OPPPP=== X
X O PPPPPP===X
XXXXXXXXXPPPPPPX

Where P is 4 step pressure treated desk stairs runner
Where = is 2 x 6 cedar shelf boards 8 feet long
Where X is a 2 x 4
Where - is white plastic lattice
Where the "O" in OPPPP is a 2 4 that runs the length of the bench
(parallel to the shelf boards and is used to secure the 3 frames (one at
8 inches in, one at the mid point 4 feet in and one at the other end 8
inches in)...
Where the other O is a similar 2 x4 that is attached at the base

I use 3 1 x 2 to run the length of the top under the lattice to keep it
from sagging too badly - 6 inches in from front and back and in the
center - they run the same direction as the shelf boards...

Hope this helps - the bench once dry (about 4 months for the pressure
treated boards to get fully dry) weighs about 60 pounds and 2 in shape
adults can easily move it from place to place. We normally balance it on
our garden wagon to roll it - spring and fall.

Doug
Old 15-05-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Doug Houseman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Diana Kulaga" wrote:

[...]

Shelving is always an entertaining topic. Bob Gordon in his phalaenopsis
books describes stepped shelving running from eye level to the ground with
55 gallon drums (heat sink) in the resulting space beneath. I went with
flat benches covered with those egg-crate light diffusers at alittle better
than waist height so I could stick shelves underneath if necessary. Gold
Country (and the now defunct Orchid House) has flat benches that roll from
one side to the other, yeilding only one aisle whose position changes as the
bench moves from side to side, making more bench space, less aisle space.
Others have skipped benches all together and made walls covered in wire so
the plants hang from the wall. I believe Ray once looked for a plan
described in the AOS Bulletin where such a wall also housed a drip watering
system. Simplest is just to stack cinder blocks and put wire mesh on that.
Speaking of wire mesh I put the 4x4 inch wire mesh used to strengthen
concrete overhead to hang plants in any variety of positions, not just along
a rod or pole.

Old 15-05-2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I forgot to mention Uncle Vito, your initial query on humidity. If I had
to do it again, & no existing concrete
slab, I would put heavy duty plastic weed liner down (it breathes) then
crushed brick. Building suppliers actually
sell it & I heard it holds moisture like crazy & therefore more humidity.
Cheers Wendy

Orchid greenhouse visits Larry Orchids 8 19-01-2005 05:10 AM
orchid greenhouse visit in Milwaukee, WI area J Fortuna Orchids 1 31-12-2004 06:54 PM
orchid greenhouse kenty ;-\) Orchids 7 18-01-2004 05:02 PM
Orchid Greenhouse GrlIntrpted Orchids 19 06-08-2003 07:12 PM