Old 14-05-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default feedback, please

I have a Phal that is currently in bloom. I received it last year. I
repotted it this winter and it did well. Now the leaves are drooping and
soft and I know this is the kiss of death. I repotted it again with fresh
bark (in a clay pot). I read that drooping leaves are a sign of either over
watering or under watering. Is there anything else I can do to save this
Phal? Thanks in advance. (I fertilize weakly weekly. I have been growing
Phals for about 4 years now....still a newbie).
Gail

Old 17-05-2008, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Is your growing situation very humid? I find in my situation clay pots dry
out quickly. You don't say if there were any good roots when you repotted.
How were they?

K Barrett

Old 19-05-2008, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 14, 3:33*pm, "Gail" wrote:
I have a Phal that is currently in bloom. I received it last year. I
repotted it this winter and it did well. Now the leaves are drooping and
soft and I know this is the kiss of death. I repotted it again with fresh
bark (in a clay pot). I read that drooping leaves are a sign of either over
watering or under watering. Is there anything else I can do to save this
Phal? Thanks in advance. (I fertilize weakly weekly. I have been growing
Phals for about 4 years now....still a newbie).
Gail

If one leaf is doing this while a new one is growing, then the plant
is okay. If all the leaves are doing this, then it's cause for alarm.

You might try a digital min/max humidity and temp sensor and place it
near the plant. This will give you some data. I'd lay off fertilizing
and make sure the roots dry a bit before each rewater. One trick I use
is to place a water tray under the pot, then use small stones to lift
the pot above the water. This does two things. First, it provides
humidity for the leaves; second, when the water from the tray has
evaporated it's a good indicator that watering may be needed now or
soon.

You mention you've been growing phals for 4 yrs. Are the other phals
at the same location and, if so, are they having any troubles? If they
are at the same location and are okay, you might want to quarantine
this plant somewhere else.

Munir