GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cattleya doesn`t smell! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/174822-cattleya-doesn%60t-smell.html)

Kate 20-05-2008 08:22 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

When I bought the plant last year (from a garden centre, so variety
unknown) its flowers were very sweetly scented. To my delight, I have
managed to flower it again, and the first two flowers have just opened,
but they have no scent. Shouldn`t they smell immediately on opening? I
noticed the same with a zygopetalum : scented when I bought it, but not
any more. Maybe it`s me, although my husband cannot smell them either.

Incidentally, when the flower spikes were just beginning to show at the
top of the canes (pseudobulbs?) on the cattleya, they were green. Then
they turned brown and I thought that they had rotted. I was going to
pull them out with tweezers, in case they caused the canes to rot, but,
fortunately, I didn`t do it straightaway, because the brown sheaths
split and the buds appeared. Didn`t know that. Do now!

Thanks
Kate

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 20-05-2008 10:18 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

Hi, Kate,

Orchids can vary as to when they are fragrant. There are varieties (like
Brassavola nodosa) which are fragrant only in the evening, for example. So,
try sniffing at different times of the day, for starters.

I don't pretend to understand the science behind this, but I find that my
fragrant orchids are less so when they are in the house, so that might be
another consideration.

About those dried sheaths: some Cattleyas develop more than one sheath, so
never take off the ones that look dry unless you are absolutely certain that
they are done for.

Diana

Kate 21-05-2008 01:10 AM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

The orchid is in the conservatory, so gets plenty of light, although I
do keep it out of direct sunlight as I thought they didn`t like it.

I bought the orchid in the early afternoon, and it was fragrant then,
but this afternoon? Not a whiff :-( Still, it is very pretty and I
am so pleased to have got it to flower again.

Thank you for the replies
Kate

[email protected] 21-05-2008 03:53 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

all of the above. i have a phal that can smell like asian lilies, or
dust, or slightly like lilacs--all in the same day. or, it might get
in a snit and not smell at all.

--j_a

Gene Schurg[_2_] 21-05-2008 05:49 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

Often we forget that plants bloom to breed. That is their reason to
make a flower.

A plant that is fragrant is trying to attract a pollenator. B. nodosa
is fragrant at night because that is when the moth that pollenates the
flower is active. The white color and the odor is what attracts the
critter that is necessary to carry the pollen to the next plant.

Generally, white flowers are pollenated at night and the white color
enhances the ability for the critter to find the flower. A spot on the
throat of the flower makes a nice target for the pollenator to aim for.

Some orchids mimic a female bee (Ophrys) that when the drunken male bee
comes home after a hard night at the local bar, his eyesight is a bit
off. He sees this flower that looks like a sweet female and tries to
make love to her. Frustrated he moves to the next "female" and
continues until he gets fed up and goes home. His wife finds the pollen
and his collar and knows where he's been.

With this cattleya you should research the species parents and figure
out why it would be fragrant. Of course the more the genes get mixed up
the plant may be confused and may not mimic the species.

I've had some catts that are fragrant only for a brief moment when the
sun first comes up then nothing the rest of the day. Some only when the
sun is on them, some of them only when the air is warm, etc. It's all
genetic.

Good growing,
Gene

Kate 21-05-2008 08:41 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

When visiting an orchid nursery a while back, I smelt this lovely
fragrance. Following the olfactory trail, we found a cattleya. It was
a very small plant but it had a single, huge, bright pink flower. I
looked to see the variety and the label read "Dave`s. Not for sale"
Seems an odd name for a plant...

I suspect that my cattleya is some hybrid developed in Holland so doubt
that I would be able to trace its parentage. As I said earlier, it did
have a smell last year. The flowers are quite small but with four out
(and seven to go), you`d think there would be something. If the
weather is good tomorrow, I will try putting it outside in a sunny,
sheltered spot to see if I can get a reading on the sniffometer.

Kate

Kate 22-05-2008 08:16 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

As it was from a garden centre, all that was on the label was
"Cattleya". Maybe the breeders just give them names like "Cattleya v.
Garden Centre Strain A". The flowers are very dainty and prettily
coloured in pale pinks and off-white. The lip is edged in dark pink
with a deep yellow throat that has dark pink spots in it.

Kate

Gene Schurg[_2_] 22-05-2008 08:58 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

Kate,

You have purchased a plant that those of us who grow orchids seriously
(and kill them just as seriously) really hate. The Cattleya Sans Nom v.
"Crap I dont know" also know as Cattleya Noname or Cattleya Home Depot.
We all have different names for them.

Some growers think that the public can't handle the real name for a
plant and are confused when they see the fully qualified name of an
orchid. So to dumb it down for the general public they put a generic
tag on the plant such as the one you have found. Some go so far as to
remove the tag all together because "the public thinks they are ugly".

This creates a problem like the one you have now. All we know is that
you have a Cattleya orchid plant. That narrows it down to about 1/10th
of the possible orchids you could have. Beyond that without the hybrid
name we can't research the parentage and tell you such things as when it
is expected to bloom, whether it needs really high light or moderate
light, when to repot it (or when not to repot), possible times for a
rest period, etc.

If you are really really lucky and can take a picture and post it on
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids there is a small chance that someone else
is growing that same plant and knows the name (or can get you close to
it). Some of our really good Cattleya folks can look at a flower and
tell you some of the parents. I usually can only recognize walkeriana
hybrids because of their big nose (that's what I see when I see them).

Good Growing,
Gene

Kate 23-05-2008 12:55 AM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

Regarding growers (and others) dumbing down because they think the
public would be deterred by a complicated name, I couldn`t agree more.
Still, why should this only be the case with orchids, when something
like acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum doesn`t deter them?
However, most ordinary punters just want a pretty plant and don`t
really care what it is or how to care for it properly. Which, for the
growers and garden centres, is a good thing. This happens not just
with orchids, of course, but with shrubs and perennials for the garden.
People remain defiantly ignorant and if the plant dies, well, it`s not
my fault for, say, planting an azalea in calcareous soil! The times
people have complained to me about such-and-such a plant not doing what
they wanted. "Did you read the label?" I ask. The answer is usually a
sheepish "No." Still, in this particular case, I did read the label
and it told me nothing. Fortunately, I have books on orchids and with
access to the `net was able to research its *general* requirements. I
would hope that an orchid grown specifically for the garden centre
market for sale as a house plant should be fairly robust and not too
picky in what it needs to thrive.

I will try and post a pic on the binary NG, but I don`t really mind not
knowing exactly what variety of cattleya it is, as long as I can keep
it growing well. In common with most garden centre shoppers, I bought
it because, firstly, it was pretty; secondly, it was fragrant;
thirdly, I could give it the right conditions; and lastly, it was not
too expensive. Even when I used to buy orchids from a specialist
grower, I used the same criteria, although, then, quite often the pot
was quickly returned to the bench when it came to the last
consideration!

Savor[_2_] 24-05-2008 06:41 PM

Cattleya doesn`t smell!

Kate,
A mystery! Actually I hope the subsequent blooms have given up the
scent for your enjoyment. Case solved?
Fragrance is the number one consideration when I'm choosing a Catt or
any orchid. I would feel cheated if the catt did not 'perform' when I
got it home! or at the next blooming. With no ID it would have to be
'pretty special' to avoid making its next apperarance on the raffle
table. Sight unseen, if it has smaller blooms, smaller growth... it
may have been bred to be compact. May be a complex hybrid. I usually
don't expect much fragrance from them because it is a recessive
quality that often falls out. You probably have an indelible memory of
its fragrance. I have been at a grower's greenhouse and experienced a
fragrance only to find out later it was a neighboring orchid. Could it
have been something sprayed on the plant 'for medicinal reasons'?
Surely the retailer would not stoop to putting 'smell good' on the
bloom! ;~) Generally speaking a bloom is most fragrant between 24
and 48 hours after opening. As noted above, its just attracting a
pollenator. A warmer day (not so hot) and a brighter day (not overcast/
rainy) also in general brings out fragrance. But there are those that
attract moths and 'creatures of the night'. Nice that they are
fragrant during the evening. Mornings are usally better than
afternoons to stop and smell the orchids. But you probably knew all
that. I can identify with being denied my fragrance fix.
Lee (in SC)
www classicorchidtours com