GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Used Orchid Media (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/174899-used-orchid-media.html)

Gene Schurg[_2_] 22-05-2008 02:24 AM

Used Orchid Media

I thought I'd pass on this tip. If you're like me you hate to throw
stuff away. I save my used orchid media (coco husk and aliflor) and
keep it in a big garbage can.

When I am making up a hanging basket in the garden or a potted plant on
the patio I use a scoop of the old media as mulch on top of the dirt.

This keeps the potting mix (usually pro-mix BX) from washing out of the
pot during the rain. It also looks better than just raw dirt.

I've been doing this for years with all my house plants, hanging
baskets, pots of plants on the patio....basically anything that's not an
orchid.

Good Growing,
Gene