GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onc. (Papilio) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/175132-onc-papilio.html)

Faz 28-05-2008 12:05 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

When the flower finally gives up, do you cut off the flower stem or just
leave it alone. It has already started a new flower stem.
This from a newby who has searched the internet and cannot find an answer.

Thanks,
Chuck.

wendy7 28-05-2008 12:22 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

NO!!!!! I just leave it be. The flower falls off then its left with dried
out looking sheaths at the tip of
the inflorescence (spike). The only time you cut, is if the inflorescence is
totally dead, usually a yellowy flax color.
Cheers Wendy

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 28-05-2008 01:00 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

Listen to Wendy. I do believe it's the first time I've hard her shout, LOL!

This plant is a sequential bloomer that can go on for many months, and in
some cases, years. Enjoy!

Diana

Gene Schurg[_2_] 30-05-2008 02:14 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

I have two of them in bloom now.

The first one started spiking about 18 months ago and was eaten off when
6 inches tall by a slug. It branched out and has been in bloom for a
year.

The other one has two spikes and has been blooming for 10 months and not
showing any signs of stopping.

Let it bloom, let it bloom, let it bloom.

Gene

eeyore 30-05-2008 03:05 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

Thanks from me as well. I was just about to go after mine with a cutter.
I'll have to wait and see.

[email protected] 30-05-2008 02:47 PM

Onc. (Papilio)

these plants should come with a little "don't EVER cut the flower
spike down!" tag. ;-)

i looked at mine at the just the right angle the other day--they
really *do* look like insects.

--j_a

Kenni Judd 18-06-2008 10:41 PM

Onc. (Papilio)

I PUT such a tag (actually, not a little one, a good-sized one) in a papilio
hybrid for one of my better customers -- he cut it anyway, said he didn't
see the tag ... Kenni

wendy7 19-06-2008 06:04 AM

Onc. (Papilio)

Hi there Kenni,
Just wondering if you are still in business as I thought I had read you were
going into something else?
Have missed your expertise.
Cheers Wendy
. ..

[email protected] 19-06-2008 03:52 PM

Onc. (Papilio)

On Jun 18, 5:41*pm, "Kenni Judd" wrote:
I PUT such a tag (actually, not a little one, a good-sized one) in a papilio
hybrid for one of my better customers -- he cut it anyway, said he didn't
see the tag ... Kenni

--gah! -head clutch-

--j_a