Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default if you break a budstalk

While moving my orchids outside for the summer, I broke a catt
budstalk with multiple buds, the first one just open. I decided to
put it in a small vase rather than just pitching it.

Two weeks later the third bud is opening and the first one has finally
dropped off. The tiny vase is on my kitchen windowsill and I may have
enjoyed the blooms more there than had they been on the plant! There
are two more buds yet to open, but I doubt that it will last long
enough for the last one to open.

So if you accidentally break off a budstalk, don't just throw it out,
enjoy it in a vase.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve,

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If the inflorescence is not broken clear
through there is a much better chance. In any event, orchids do some of the
strangest things!

Diana

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 06:00:23 -0700 (PDT), janet
wrote:

While moving my orchids outside for the summer, I broke a catt
budstalk with multiple buds, the first one just open. I decided to
put it in a small vase rather than just pitching it.

My wife has just put the ends of a broken stalk together and wrapped
the it in waterproof tape. The buds still look healthy. If it works I
will be amazed!

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com