Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Faz Faz is offline

Default Saving a lost dendrobium

I know you guys out there that have been growing orchids for years won't be
too excited but yours truly saved a dendrobium from a store that was going
to trash it. I got it for free, and when I got it home replanted it and now
I see new growth starting to happen. (Doing the orchid dance). Once it gets
to a point where I can take a photo I will post it and ask the people in the
know what kind it is as of course there was no identification. As you can
see I'm already hooked.

Regards.....Chuck.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Faz wrote:
I know you guys out there that have been growing orchids for years won't be
too excited but yours truly saved a dendrobium from a store that was going
to trash it. I got it for free, and when I got it home replanted it and now
I see new growth starting to happen. (Doing the orchid dance). Once it gets
to a point where I can take a photo I will post it and ask the people in the
know what kind it is as of course there was no identification. As you can
see I'm already hooked.

Regards.....Chuck.

Run, Chuck, run! I feel obligated to warn you, these damn plants are
EXTREMELY addicting! Once you start, it's nearly impossible to stop.
About seven years ago, my son's gf (now wife) showed up at my apt. for
dinner one night with a paph in her hand, asking if I wanted it. She
works in a nursery and they were giving some surplus plants to their
employees. For some reason, looking down at her and the paph, I felt
like someone was placing a newborn child in my arms. Up to then, I was
known in horticultural circles as a serial killer. Only the hardiest of
plants lasted long in my care.
But I took the orchid in anyway, with instructions from Khalana on how
to care for it. Amazingly, it's still alive and in my house. Along with
five more. I've had as many as thirteen, but killed a couple and got rid
of some non-bloomers when I moved last year.
So you can't say you haven't been warned. They get a rather powerful
hold on you, and never let go! I think sane people stay away from them.
Best of luck with your new pet.