Old 19-06-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default 3D orchid chat rooms

Does anybody out there in rgo land play or use any of the persistent worlds
games that are out there, like Second Life or Kaneva or even the Entropia
Universe? I was thinking it might be fun to get a group of people together
to build an online orchid society in one of these 3d worlds. We could meet
weekly or monthly to discuss orchids. It is possible to set up slide shows
inside some of these games to show off orchid pictures.

Second Life has a monthly fee, but Kaneva and Entropia are free to download
and use. As long as you don't want to 'buy' anything like cloths or
apartments it is free. You can make an avatar and meet up with people there
to chat etc and not spend any money...

There are probably other free worlds to use, but I like Project Entropia and
to a lesser extend Kaneva for the purpose of making a 3D orchid society...
As long as you don't buy stuff in these worlds, they are free to use.

I can often be found running around on the planet Calypso (Project Entropia)
looking for orchids and being killed by vicious monsters. Sometimes I stay
in the cities where it is safe and chat with people from all over the world.

I have set up an avatar in Kaneva to test it out, but I don't like the
avatar controls as much as I do in Project Entropia. Project Entropia is
more game oriented. Kaneva is like a giant 3D facebook for social
networking.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to group together and talk orchids "in
person" online one a week or so. If anybody else wants to join me in either
of the above worlds or uses another software, let me know and I will arrange
to meet you there.

Project Entropia:
http://www.entropiauniverse.com

Kaneva:
http://www.kaneva.com/

My avatar name in both worlds is Sam Buster Star.

;-)

Old 20-06-2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:21:51 -0700, Al Pickrel wrote
(in article P5A6k.83486$MF3.20901@trnddc06):

[...]

Cool, Al. A great outlet for your more surreal self. I've used Second Life in
the past, though I was not very adept. Might meet you at Entropia.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200