Old 24-06-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default abpo gone from verizon news servers.

Yes, I know why. Anyway, there was talk on abpo of setting up a private
server for pictures once the big companies started dropping the .alt
hierarchy. Please post the server information here when/if it gets done
because many of us can't see abpo anymore.

Old 25-06-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

thanks kye!!!!

--j_a
Old 25-06-2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My pleaseure.

For the sake of salving my wallets hurt feelings here, how many people does
this effect???

Kye.

wrote in message
thanks kye!!!!

--j_a

Old 25-06-2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:48:32 GMT in Az98k.10$ud.0@trnddc03 Al Pickrel wrote:
Yes, I know why. Anyway, there was talk on abpo of setting up a private
server for pictures once the big companies started dropping the .alt
hierarchy. Please post the server information here when/if it gets done
because many of us can't see abpo anymore.

This is a temporary measure, I'm not sure who provides it.
198.186.190.78
provides alt.binaries.pictures.orchids via NNTP.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 25-06-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 25 Jun 2008 11:01:49 -0700 in Terry wrote:

The trick with binaries groups is they aren't carried on Google and not too many
free news servers will carry them because of storage over time. My newsgroups
provider, Newsguy, has a special now for Verizon users that gives free extra
time.

If you're looking for an inexpensive option without the headaches of running
your own news server, they might be worth a try.

http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm

And teranews is supposedly offering 50M of news a day
for free after a $3.95 initial setup fee.

Old 25-06-2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

IMO, it will eventually come at all of us, but what do I know? What is this
setting you back, Kye, if I might ask? Perhaps we ought to be contributing?

Also, a question: when you say private server, does that mean that it will
not be available to people in general? Just curious about how it will work.

Diana

"BIO-Dex Consulting" wrote in message
My pleaseure.

For the sake of salving my wallets hurt feelings here, how many people
does this effect???

Kye.

wrote in message
thanks kye!!!!

--j_a

Old 26-06-2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This is a solution for viewing, but not uploading, and it is free:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...s.orchids.html

(Sorry, but Thunderbird won't let me insert that as a link in a
newsgroup, only individual e-mail)

To see all alt newsgroups (except porn), delete everything in that
address beginning with "alt"

Old 26-06-2008, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

*&%$#&*^$)!@

Just realized, T'bird automatically inserts as a link but does not show
it as a link when sending.

Old 27-06-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:41:46 -0400 in v_coerulea wrote:
I receive abpo over NNTP (Port 119) on 216.77.188.18 with Bellsouth.
Gary

Bellsouth/AT&T did not use Cuomo's kiddy porn crusade as justifcation
to stop providing legitimate USENET or USENET binaries newsgroups to
their customers.

Time Warner Cable, Verizon, and Sprint opted to use Cuomo's little
crusade to engage in a bit of cost reduction and censorship.

As we have some regulars here that are getting USENET via
Verizon and Sprint, they have been looking for alternative
ways to get their abpo fix.

It would appear that the IP I posted is the "First taste is free"
NNTP server freebin.readnews.com.
Old 27-06-2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

from wired:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Bypass_Blocked_Usenet

--j_a

Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kye, this is your chance to be the hero (once again). It would be great
to have a server that will always have ABPO. (Would you able to put RGO
on it too for one stop shopping for orchid newsgroups?)
As much as I have enjoyed newsgroups over the last decade+, I'm not sure
I can justify spending over $100 a year just to pick up ABPO. Motzarella
seems to work fine for the text groups but (unless something changes)
I'll only be able to view pictures posted by other Motzarella users.

Though I don't want to pay a monthly fee just for ABPO, I wouldn't be
opposed to sending a donation to you to help set this up.

Steve