Old 24-06-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Question on trimming

After flowering do the stalks get trimmed back?

My Orchids live in Florida.

Old 24-06-2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:40:44 -0400, weedhopper wrote:
After flowering do the stalks get trimmed back?

My Orchids live in Florida.

It would help to know what you have.

Bob
Old 24-06-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jun 24, 2:40*pm, "weedhopper" wrote:
After flowering do the stalks get trimmed back?

My Orchids live in Florida.

some yes, some unequivocally NO.

what kinds of orchids?

--j_a
Old 24-06-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
On Jun 24, 2:40 pm, "weedhopper" wrote:
After flowering do the stalks get trimmed back?

My Orchids live in Florida.

some yes, some unequivocally NO.

what kinds of orchids?

I have no idea. They were given to me as gifts. Is there a way to ID them?
Your help and Roberts, is appreciated.

Old 24-06-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

oh *those* kinds.

look thru the culture sheets here

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...ContentID=3342

(aos.org -- orchid info, if that doesn't work)

and see if you can pick out what you have. (some of the most common
are phalaenopsis, cattleya, dendrobium and oncidium.) or post pics to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids if you can.

--j_a

Old 25-06-2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Your best bet is to leave the spikes be until they die off, will turn a
straw colour. This
way you don't pass on any viruses etc.
They should have name tags stuck in the side of the pots.
Pictures may help to get the genus at least.
Post a link here or subscribe to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
where most of us post.
Cheers Wendy

Old 25-06-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
oh *those* kinds.

look thru the culture sheets here

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...ContentID=3342

(aos.org -- orchid info, if that doesn't work)

and see if you can pick out what you have. (some of the most common
are phalaenopsis, cattleya, dendrobium and oncidium.) or post pics to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids if you can.

Hi,

That link is great, thanks. I have cattleya, dendrobium and phalaenopsis.

Old 25-06-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

the den and catt can be cut back when they're dried up, as wendy says.
they won't rebloom off the existing spikes/stems. the phal can be
cut back about a third of the way down the spike after the flowers
fall off, and it *may* rebloom for you. if it does, it's stressful
for the plant. personally i don't cut my phal spikes until they
shrivel up. i'm more interested in longevity of the plant overall.

--j_a
Old 25-06-2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

A local greenhouse has a few phals hanging in a back corner that are never
taken care of. I've been checking on them over the past several years and
have noticed that on one of them most all the spikes have produced keikis. I
can't tell if it put out another spike after the original. So I have been
letting mine go for it. No luck with any keikis but a few new spikes off the
old one. The flowers from the new spike are not as impressive.

Old 26-06-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
the den and catt can be cut back when they're dried up, as wendy says.
they won't rebloom off the existing spikes/stems. the phal can be
cut back about a third of the way down the spike after the flowers
fall off, and it *may* rebloom for you. if it does, it's stressful
for the plant. personally i don't cut my phal spikes until they
shrivel up. i'm more interested in longevity of the plant overall.

--j_a

I thank you and the group for the help.