GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Time Warner quit offering newsgroups (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/176452-time-warner-quit-offering-newsgroups.html)

Steve[_2_] 30-06-2008 10:22 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

Hi Everyone.

I've been with this group since sometime in 1997. I've looked at just
about every post since then. (I say looked at, rather than read,
because there have been times when I glossed over certain subjects.)

I hadn't been here in over a week. Today I thought I would catch up
but I find that Time Warner (Roadrunner) has cut us off. How rude!! I
don't know if this has been discussed here already or not because I
just came to Google groups and I'm writing this without reading
first.

Well, I'll have to do something about this. Using Google Groups isn't
the answer for the long run because I find it cumbersome and awkward,
and of course, you can't even view ABPO from here.

As it is, I feel resentment at the price every time I write a check to
Time Warner for TV and internet. Now this.

Feeling cheated,

Steve (in the Adirondacks)

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 30-06-2008 10:48 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

Hi, Steve,

It has been a subject for a while. TW wasn't the first; Verizon was the
center of the conversation. Verizon was keeping rgo but getting rid of all
the binaries groups. In fact, if you scroll down (or up, depending on how
you view the subject lines) past the six previous original posts, you will
come to one by Al. The subject line is "abpo gone from Verizon news
servers".

Kye is working on something that we all can use; it is discussed in that
thread. The situation sucks.

Diana

[email protected] 30-06-2008 11:06 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

only one good thing about it: next time verizon (who does my phones)
calls and tries to sell me fios, i have a legitimate reason to yell
and scream at them. :-)

--j_a

somnial 01-07-2008 03:16 AM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

Steve wrote:

Feeling cheated,

(by Time Warner)
Steve (in the Adirondacks)

I am currently getting my usenet service via Earthlink on the
identical cable that could deliver Road Runner to me if I wanted it.
I am NOT a television cable customer. I only subscribe to internet
service.
Some time after Earthlink bought out mindspring, they announced that
usenet service was a free service and therefore its elimination in the
future would not be regarded by them as a diminution of service.
I protested that it would be a substantial diminution of service as
far as I was concerned.

Steve[_2_] 01-07-2008 04:29 PM

On Jun 30, 9:16 pm, somnial wrote:
Steve wrote:

Feeling cheated,

(by Time Warner)
Steve (in the Adirondacks)

I am currently getting my usenet service via Earthlink on the
identical cable that could deliver Road Runner to me if I wanted it.
I am NOT a television cable customer. I only subscribe to internet
service.
Some time after Earthlink bought out mindspring, they announced that
usenet service was a free service and therefore its elimination in the
future would not be regarded by them as a diminution of service.
I protested that it would be a substantial diminution of service as
far as I was concerned.

A year or two ago, someone on some newsgroup predicted that newsgroups
would be phased out as ISPs slowly dropped that service. I thought to
myself, how could they drop newsgroups when there are thousands of
groups to choose from and there must be millions of people using them?
Well, I guess it is happening. As more ISPs drop the newsgroup
service, others will feel less obligated to provide it themselves and
they will drop it too.
Giganews, EasyNews, and the others will be around as long as they can
make money, but how many people will try newsgroups for the first time
if they have other options and have to pay a separate bill to get into
newsgroups? Google will probably help keep things alive for a long
time, but newsgroups weren't born to be read on a web site. It's like
keeping a species from extinction by keeping it in a zoo (or, to stay
on topic, by keeping it in orchid collections). Maybe we ARE a dying
breed. :-(

Steve

K Barrett 01-07-2008 04:56 PM

Steve wrote:

[...]

I think there are going to be text groups, but the image groups will go
away. That's usually where the porno comes from....but sheesh. If the
government is going to say ISPs have to be accountable for the content
carried on their bandwidth (read: spreading pornography), then they may as
well shut down the internet because its all pornography. It was
the'information superhighway' for a split second of time and then became,
well, what it is..

Members of the other groups I read have found independent usenet carriers
but they mostly carry text groups, few carry binaries, which is what we want
to see: pictures of sex organs...*plant* sex organs, but sex organs
nonetheless....*G*!

K Barrett

K Barrett 01-07-2008 05:07 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

Here's a link to two articles on the dropping of hierarchies. I know people
on the mystery group are going to Germany's motzarella (I think I spelled
that right) but again I'm pretty sure its text only.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967119-38.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967004-38.html

K Barrett

K Barrett 01-07-2008 05:20 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

No! Motzarella carries alt.binaries.pictures.orchids! Pretty cool!
Here's the link, if it helps anyone out...

http://news.motzarella.org/

. ..

[email protected] 01-07-2008 10:56 PM

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:20:01 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:
No! Motzarella carries alt.binaries.pictures.orchids! Pretty cool!
Here's the link, if it helps anyone out...

http://news.motzarella.org/

motzarella.org didn't initially carry abpo.
I requested they ad it shortly after I started using them.
They warned that they didn't have any real binary feeds, and
content so far agrees with that.
It'll be interesting to see how far Ray's test post propogates out.
It may become use motzarella.org for posting orchid pics.

. ..

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

[email protected] 02-07-2008 09:23 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

On Jun 30, 5:23�pm, "Ray B" wrote:
...but FiOS is spectacular!

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

Thank you, Ray. Your enthusiasm for FiOS is noted. FiOS is coming to
My Town within 14 months. I wonder how deep that I'll need to dig
into my pockets?

--Stitzelweller--

Ray B[_2_] 03-07-2008 12:46 AM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

I went from Comcast (headquartered here in Philly) at a supposed 6 meg down/
2 meg up to 15M/5M for $5 less per month, and at a much better service
level, to boot.

wrote in message
On Jun 30, 5:23?pm, "Ray B" wrote:
...but FiOS is spectacular!

Steve[_2_] 03-07-2008 06:38 PM

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Here's a link to two articles on the dropping of hierarchies. I know
people on the mystery group are going to Germany's motzarella (I think I
spelled that right) but again I'm pretty sure its text only.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967119-38.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967004-38.html

K Barrett

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
-- G. K. Chesterton.

This is exciting news for me, so I went right to the site and
registered.
I got registered, got the e-mail with a password. First I tried
changing my old Time Warner account over to this by changing the
server name. etc. That didn't work and I figured it was because it was
sending out the wrong password (it didn't ask for a password).

OK, I should say I that I use Thunderbird for mail and newsgroups. Can
someone tell me what I'm missing? Here's what I did:
I started over making a new account. I assumed there would be a place
to put in the correct user name and password. I was never prompted to
put in a name or password and the new account didn't work either.

[ Hold on, I just thought of one more thing to try and stumbled onto
the answer by pure luck. I'll continue with what I did in case others
need to know.]

Quote from the motzarella web site:
"The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:

* Mozilla Thunderbird

Tools - Account Settings - Server Settings
Always request authentication when connecting to this server "

Of course, I did that before I started to write this message and it
still didn't work.

There are 2 hierarchies available without logging in. My idea was to
look for the answer there before I continued here. I subscribed to one
group that looked promising. It didn't have my answer but...
surprise... it asked for my name and password before I entered. Now
I'm logged in and have subscribed to the 2 orchid newsgroups.

So... as long as the motzarella deal lasts, I'm all set and this will
be my last post using Google.

Steve

Eric Schecter 04-07-2008 05:09 PM

Time Warner quit offering newsgroups

As someone suggested, just keep posting stuff, so the more traffic, the
better.
I've signed up for Motzarella and posted a pic in abpo as a plant in need of
an ID.
Good to read you all again, and boo/hiss to TWC for dropping news access.
Eric

"K Barrett" wrote in message
No! Motzarella carries alt.binaries.pictures.orchids! Pretty cool!
Here's the link, if it helps anyone out...

http://news.motzarella.org/

. ..