Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Humic Acid

Many moons ago, when I was experimenting with developing my own,
better-but-much-cheaper SuperThrive (abandoned, due to EPA regs), I began
using humic acid as an additive to the formulation.

I am quite certain of its benefit in soils, as it helps release
otherwise-sequestered nutrients, but I questioned its applicability to
orchid-growing.

I know this is quite unscientific, but about 4 months ago - just before the
time I had to start mostly "ignoring" my collection due to the various
surgeries I endured - I added a liquid humic acid concentrate to my
fertilizer feed tank, so have been feeding with it (it ends up being about a
teaspoon per gallon), and it "looks" like it may be a "plus" after all, as I
am seeing more growth and blooms than I had been (again I'll state - it's
quite an unscientific assessment).

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We sell lots of Humic AND fulvic acids. Some people swear by them. Fulvic
is the same group of organic acids, anything with a molecular weight higher
than X is humic and anything lighter is fulvic. They supposedly act as
organic chelating agents and help plants take up nutrients easier. I have
alway assumed that ST contains them. We sell several brands of B-1 and
although people like them we get far better feed back from ST users. There
is real reasearch out there that supports adding humics and fulvics. I do
use them on my orchids but everything gets everything, or ussually
everything gets nothing. I've fertilized twice this year already!!! I'm a
big believer in the theory that orchids thrive on neglect. BTW the kelp was
probably acsophyllum nodosum. Contains cytokinins which helps
branching/rates of cell division/ect. AG Canada HATES anything that says
humic acid on it. If you think the EPA is hard on the head you should try
dealing with those powermad yahoo's.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If it's for plants its part of thier domain. The stupid thing is products
can contain humic acid. The label just cant SAY it contains them. Even if
the product is called Humic black thats OK, but the same bottle can't say
'contains Humic acid'. It is actually a very very weak acid only. pH 5.5
ish even at full strength. Anything that isn't NPK they don't like. Humic
acid is naturally present in all surface water, so you know the G need to
regulate it.

. ..

"

Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Opps clicked on send by misteak when i actually wanted to click on nothing
at all! Belleve it or not it mostly comes from coal. The coal used to be
peat. We prety much have that market sewn up as well. Most of Alberta has
coal under it. I just went to the Alberta Geological Survey web page and
they estmate there is over 2 TRILLION tons of coal in the plains region
alone with the mountains/foothills being loaded as well.

Humic Acid? T[_4_] Edible Gardening 11 10-12-2016 05:12 PM
Humic Acid Ray B[_2_] Orchids 15 12-07-2008 02:36 AM
Humic Acid Ray B[_2_] Orchids 0 10-07-2008 12:25 AM
oxalic acid or sulphuric acid to lower water hardness? Alexander Orchids 8 22-06-2005 06:16 PM
Fruit trees vs acid soil simy1 Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 09:56 PM