Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default newsgroups -- a little off topic

I use ATT and have just been informed that they've dropped
alt.binaries.orchids to block "child porn". Not sure I see the connection,
but does anyone know of any alternative providers or other accesses to
newsgroups.

Apologize as I know this issue has already been posted, but at the time ATT
didn't seem to be blocking groups. They just threw this at me with no
notification.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Buddy, they didn't even let me know. They just dumped it. Andrew Cuomo,
c'mon down to the Glades. We'd love to show you around. I am supremely
angry.

Mottzarella isn't working for those who have tried it. It double posts, and
they can only see posts that have been originated by Mottzarella members.

Wait for Kye. He started abpo. Hopefully, he'll rescue is this time.

Diana

. ..

Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 01:00:51 GMT, "eeyore"
wrote:

I use ATT and have just been informed that they've dropped
alt.binaries.orchids to block "child porn". Not sure I see the connection,
but does anyone know of any alternative providers or other accesses to
newsgroups.

Apologize as I know this issue has already been posted, but at the time ATT
didn't seem to be blocking groups. They just threw this at me with no
notification.

I have subscribed to Giganews for years now due to their fast access,
low cost and ease of use.

http://www.giganews.com/

And yes Time Warner has dropped ALL Newsgroups, not just the .ALT
groups so I am very glad to have the Giganews.

I also have one from Forte'

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

not to mention using Agent as my news reader

Dave
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I've just had all alt.binary. groups dropped by Bellsouth with no warning
whatsoever and I'm p.o.'d. I may just vent a little when opening time comes
around. It wouldn't hurt. I'd just get some little old ladiy in India or
somewhere who can barely understand me and vice versa. Maybe I'll just hold
on long enough until I get someone whose first language is English and can
give me some explanation. I know it won't do any good either - a waste of
time especially if I don't feel any better after it's done. Threatening to
drop all my AT&T services might make me feel like I've got a bat in this
war. I have a lot of their services but to them it's a drop in the bucket.
They might even make some consilatory offer to show some effort toward good
customer service but it still wouldn't bring back alt.binary services.
Another score for the big bad guys!
Gary

Old 12-07-2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:41:45 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Buddy, they didn't even let me know. They just dumped it. Andrew Cuomo,
c'mon down to the Glades. We'd love to show you around. I am supremely
angry.

Mottzarella isn't working for those who have tried it. It double posts, and
they can only see posts that have been originated by Mottzarella members.

Ahem, there's enough FUD without you adding to it.

motzarella.org works well enough with a couple exceptions.

1) It sometimes reports a failure to post an article when it actually
was successful. Normal user response to such an error is to tell
it to retry several times before getting annoyed and giving up.
A better response is to postpone the article, check for new articles
in the newsgroup, and try again if it has not appeared within 15 minutes
or so. It's worth noting that this was common behavior back in the days
of mom&pop ISPs.

2) It carries abpo. It appears to receive non-binaries posts from the
outside just fine. It sends out binaries posts just fine. As the
peers to news.motzarella.org are NOT binary oriented, it does not
currently receive binaries posted elsewhere.

Wait for Kye. He started abpo. Hopefully, he'll rescue is this time.

Diana

. ..

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Read this if you use your ISP for more than a connection.

If you actually use the USENET server associated with your ISP
*OR* the email associated with your ISP *OR* the web space associated
with your ISP, expect them to disappear in the next few years.

In the event that your ISP is owned by a media distribution company
(TWC and Comcast come to mind immediately), the corporate vision
is to turn the Internet into a passive consumption channel like TV
and movies. They do not want you to be creative or increase the
knowledge base of humanity. They want you to sit back, absorb what they
send you, and buy crap.
And with AT&T's rollout of uVerse and Verizon's FIOS rollout, they have
both firmly stuck their toes into the business of being media
distribution companies.

No matter who owns your ISP, services such as USENET, email, and web
content are used by a diminishing portion of the customer base but
still requires the same or increasing number of servers and employees to
maintain. Depending on your jurisdiction hosting these services creates
increased liability to provide manpower and CPU time to provide
information requested under civil and criminal supoenas. The behavior
that is responsible to the share holders is to drop such services.

The ISPs may claim this is in response to pressure for a noble cause
like ridding the net of kiddy pr0n, but it really boils down to their
corporate interests. Folks with power love firebrands like kiddy pr0n
because they can immediately label those they oppose as "perverts."

If you think such services should be part of your ISP bundle, you need
to seek out an ISP that advertises that users like you are its target market.
And then pick the ones that actually keep their customers informed.

If your ISP has started dropping these services on you, look at what
other ISPs are available. If you find a suitable alternative switch
to it. Inform the ISP. Inform customer service management and
executive management.

If your ISP has not started dropping these services on you, look at what
other ISPs are available. Inform the customer service management and
executive management that you will switch if they drop the services
you desire.

And for those of you that have moved to free replacement services,
do NOT bad mouth the service for what is usually a tragedy of the
commons situation. Feel free to blame yourself for not understanding
the limitations of the service. Feel free to blame yourself for not
understanding the resource limitations of someone running a free service
without advertising revenue. Feel free to blame yourself for not using
the appropriate support channels for the free service.

I've heard some of you complain of the drain from leading an orchid
society where the members only consume and do not contribute. Running
a free news service is the same way. I caught entirely too much crap
when I ran a USENET server for IBM in the 90s. A girl I dated caught
entirely too much crap when she was NNTP admin for a mom&pop ISP.

Oh, and if you're a disruptive soul that can give good sound bites...
Contact your local TV-News affilliate and explain to them how what
the ISPs are doing actually makes it harder to catch child
pornography distributors. It's actually true.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I use ATT DSL and was just checking the news groups and could still see a
large group of binary groups. the server is news.dallas.sbcglobal.net .

I did notice RGO is not retaining post as long.

Old 15-07-2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think all these **** ISP's owe us a huge rebate for services not
rendered. I'm getting really tired of paying more for less.

Old 15-07-2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Storm the barricades! Pitchforks and torches, I say!

Diana

. 33.102...

Old 15-07-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

sounds good to me.

--j_a
Old 24-07-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in news:bdceb770-f02d-4d50-bfec-e5d4eec9e2c1
@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

sounds good to me.

--j_a

Oops forgot to paste this link