Old 14-07-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Question

Is the alt.binaries pictures.orchids restricted by bandwidth or is it just
shut down? I posted a written question from BC, Canada and it showed up on
the server.

Thanks,
Chuck.

Old 14-07-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Abpo is still there. Access has been denied by a slew of ISPs. They have
lots of reasons, but the main one cited is a crusade by the NY State Atty.
General against child pornography. Noble goal, that, of course. But what the
ISPs have done is to simply deny access to all alt.binaries groups. Baby,
meet bath water.

There are independent servers that one can use. That may be what I, and
others, do. But Kye in OZ is working on a private server, and I'm kind of
waiting to see how that works out. Kye actually created abpo in the first
place, so I have high hopes.

There are multitudes of places to view orchid pictures on the web (at least
for now), but none have the camaradarie that we have shared at abpo. So, we
are hopeful that our little community can get back together soon.

Diana

Old 16-07-2008, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:26:41 GMT in BoQek.69149$kx.2085@pd7urf3no Faz wrote:
Is the alt.binaries pictures.orchids restricted by bandwidth or is it just
shut down? I posted a written question from BC, Canada and it showed up on
the server.

I summarized all of this in the article with the subject line similar to
"Read this if you use your ISP for more than a network connection."

Several US ISPs either completely dropped their USENET services,
or severely reduced the subset of USENET newsgroups on their news
servers.

Folks here are having a tendency to say "they restricted access."
That's a poor analogy.
A better analogy is they either ripped down the library and sold it
for scrap, or they shredded the books that consumed the most space
and were most popular. They then sold the shredded books as mulch."

Their public justification for this was pressure from the NY
DA to curtail the internet spread of child pornography.

The actual reason is that USENET is not used by most of their customer
base and runs counter to the business models for most large ISPs
as most large ISPs are also in the TV, movie, and book businesses.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

Old 27-09-2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

AOL completely stopped providing newsgroups several years ago. All
newsgroups, not just binaries or alt.binaries. (Kind of ironic that I'm
the one saying this, considering I still use my old AOL address here.)
I enjoyed using AOL's system for newsgroups. When they stopped offering
them, I switched over to my real ISPs server, which was Adelphia at the
time. Time Warner took them over and now Time Warner completely closed
their newsgroup server. (I'm using Motzarella now.)

Steve

bill wrote:
bill
Bellsouth and AOL are two ISP that blanked all alt.binaries