Old 24-07-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Novice Question

I have a Brassolaeliocattleya (Wanda's Fire) which I won at an orchid
meeting. I was told by the members that it needed repotting, which I did,
and it is coming along nicely (I think). My question, that I cannot find on
the internet is how does this plant bloom? Does it grow a spike? Where will
I start looking for flower growth......it's driving me crazy as I understand
that this orchid has a very beautiful and large bloom. I can hardly wait to
see if I have been a good mother to it.

Thanks......Chuck.

Old 24-07-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I don't know when the blooming season is for this, but it is a lovely orange
bloom. It is in the Cattleya family, and it will have a sheath rather than a
spike. From the sheath will come the flowers. This plant likes high light,
filtered, but high.

Sheaths come from new growth, or sometimes from old growths that have not
sheathed before. If the plant is vigorous and growing and getting enough
light, you will have blooms.

Diana

Old 24-07-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The sheath arises from the top of the pseudobulb next to the base of the
leaf or leaves. Judging from the timing of previous awards the season seems
to be Jan thru April with the preponderace of awards in Feb.

K Barrett

"Faz" wrote in message
I have a Brassolaeliocattleya (Wanda's Fire) which I won at an orchid
meeting. I was told by the members that it needed repotting, which I did,
and it is coming along nicely (I think). My question, that I cannot find
on the internet is how does this plant bloom? Does it grow a spike? Where
will I start looking for flower growth......it's driving me crazy as I
understand that this orchid has a very beautiful and large bloom. I can
hardly wait to see if I have been a good mother to it.

Thanks......Chuck.

Novice Question. Santos D. Santiago Gardening 15 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area Ravi Gardening 1 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Novice with a sod question Mark Darbyshire Gardening 2 06-08-2003 07:32 PM
A novice question Bernie Gardening 2 22-07-2003 06:22 AM
novice orchid question Carol Orchids 3 20-06-2003 05:32 AM