Old 24-07-2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Saw my first Kindle

A friend's wife brought her Kindle to our club's orchid nursery trip, just
so she'd have something to do while her husband was orchid shopping. I have
to say these things look great and am tempted to get one. I have to
constanly remind myself that I'm on Audible because I like to listen to
books while I water and feed my orchids and do my house chores, which is
brainless but requires hands free. So holding a Kindle is out. And
although Kindle partners with Audible and you can listen to mp3s on it the
unit is too large to clip to the back of my pants to protect it from damage
as I work.

But she was able to access the internet and use it's GPS to get from nursery
to nursery and it could all be seen on a large well lit screen! Much more
like Captain Kirk's tricorder than a cell phone. IMHO. Plus she had all of
Ariana Franklin's books on it already. [jealousy]

Now I'm wondering if Kindles might not be the solution to the orchid judging
dilemma of having access to the most recent awards before they are
published. (http://www.csnjc.org) I should have had her try to access either
of the award pages I edit, just so I could see how they look on a Kindle.

K Barrett