Old 26-07-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Please I need help!!

I have bugs and I don't know what they are.

I see them in the dish under the pot when I lift it. They are
extremely small. They do not fly or jump. I looked at them through a
magnifying glass and they are dark with antennae on their heads. The
body is long and thin. They can't be more than 1/16" long.

I cannot see them or any damage on the leaves or flowers. I looked at
the top of the potting medium with the magnifying glass and can't see
anything.

Yesterday I saw them in only one plant. This morning there were
dozens in the dish of this plant and a few in the dish of another.

Can this be thrips? The dark bodies make me think they aren't but I
just cannot figure out what they are.

What should I do?
Old 26-07-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I didn't answer because I have no idea what the bugs are. But go ahead and
kill them. [shrug] Why not? I wouldn't want bugs in my house either. I'd
use an insecticidal soap available at any garden center. I'd mix up a
solution and flood it through the pot making sure the medium gets throughly
soaked. YMMV. Please note: I have no idea what the bugs are or why they
are there.

K Barrett

Old 26-07-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ditto here, Jane, I don't know what they are either. But I do have a
question: why is the plant sitting in a dish? Is water pooling there? If you
have anything in bloom, are the flowers spotted in any way?

Diana

Old 26-07-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
I have bugs and I don't know what they are.

I see them in the dish under the pot when I lift it. They are
extremely small. They do not fly or jump. I looked at them through a
magnifying glass and they are dark with antennae on their heads. The
body is long and thin. They can't be more than 1/16" long.

I cannot see them or any damage on the leaves or flowers. I looked at
the top of the potting medium with the magnifying glass and can't see
anything.

Yesterday I saw them in only one plant. This morning there were
dozens in the dish of this plant and a few in the dish of another.

Can this be thrips? The dark bodies make me think they aren't but I
just cannot figure out what they are.

What should I do?

The plant is in a plastic pot that is sitting inside a more decorative
ceramic pot. The ceramic pot has a hole in the bottom so that the
water does not sit. I said dish because it seemed easier than the
ceramic pot explanation. Guess not.

Also, when I water my plants I remove them from the ceramic pots and
sit them in the sink. I don't put them back until they stop
dripping. I've already had one plant get root rot. I learned not to
have that happen again.

Both plants are in bloom. The flowers are completely normal. No
spotting. Same for the leaves. The plant with the most bugs was
growing two new leaves. I'm not sure but it looks like they may have
stopped growing. I'm really not sure about this since the leaves grow
slowly anyway.

I'm going to attempt to photo these bugs. I'm not sure I can get
anything useful since they are so small. If I can I'll post it.