GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/177752-ants.html)

Jerry Hoffmeister 11-08-2008 05:51 PM

ants

Ok, how do I get rid of ants in the GH? I was ok with a few crawling around
but I went to make up some potting mix yesterday and found a HUGE nest in my
stash of soaked / rinsed CHC. The little ones... I first noticed them by
the smell when I jammed my hands in the CHC to pull out a handful - you know
the smell the little buggers make when you squish them? Anyway, I sprinkled
a bunch of borax in and put some of the borax/sugar "traps" on top but they
don't seem to be interested. What do you use? I'm thinking something I add
to the bin of CHC that I can later rinse out. I recently sprayed Mesurol in
the GH for snails / slugs and I no longer see them crawling on the Catt
buds, etc so I expect that would do the trick but it's pretty nasty...

[email protected] 11-08-2008 07:29 PM

ants

it's too bad you can't rent small anteaters.... i read somewhere
there's a gecko that reaches as far north as baltimore; i want one.

where are you located again?

--j_a

K Barrett 11-08-2008 10:22 PM

ants

You could hose down the CHC with just about anything to drive them away,
bleach in an Ortho Dial n' Spray set at 1 tsp per gallon, or household
ammonia at the same rate, or dish soap at the same rate (though that's sort
of gooey), or insecticidal soap from the local nursery. Poke a hole(s) in
the bottom of the bin so the water'd drain out, assuming its water tight.

K Barrett

. ..

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 12-08-2008 12:54 AM

ants

Orthene keeps the ants down, much to my surprise. Growing under only screen,
we had so many ants that I thought I'd never catch a break from them.
Orthene, which we used for other reasons, did them in.

Diana

. ..

[email protected] 14-08-2008 08:03 PM

ants