Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default hey al !

is that an anguloa virginalis on the front page of your site? (and
that's a very cool alba equestris...)

--j_a
Old 13-08-2008, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Tag says Anguloa dubia.

I only have two kinds, Anguloa Dubia and Anguloa ruckeri. I bought them all
as babies from Oakhill. The ruckeri are still far too young to be blooming.
I saw about a dozen plants of the much larger dubia bloom this spring/summer
after many years of getting bigger and bigger without flowering. Apparently
they like fire and ice and neglect and abuse and so bloomed profusely for me
this year. I had one plant that had 10 to 12 flower spikes. If they are
all labeled correctly (and I just don't know), then there is a lot of color
variation in the species; from pale pinks to oranges. Did not see any
yellows, which is the main color that shows up when you do a Google image
search. It puzzled me. They all smell like a childhood candy I remember:
candy wax bottles you are supposed to chew up like gum.

I grew the alba equestris from seed. About a dozen 4" pots bloomed
recently.

Old 13-08-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

very very pretty. i like the pink forms. wish i had room for more
plants. -sigh-

-contemplates kicking out housemate and converting his space to grow
rooms-

-then quitting job to make time to take care of more plants-

-hmm-

--j_a