Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Mixing Chemicals?

All:

I know I can mix certain fungicides with each other. My question is, which
of the following, if any, would also be compatible with Orthene? Any? None?

Cleary's 3336; Subdue; Phyton; Physan.

Diana

Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good question! I never mix them because I don't know what can and can't be
mixed. I've been fighting mealie bugs and wondered if I could mix MSU and
orthene...somehow the addition of so many inorganic ions to an organic
chemical didn't seem like smart chemistry to me. But whaddoikno?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, there is a little test that can be done to see if things react in a
volatile manner when combined. Just a drop of each put together and watch
what happens. If it fizzes, etc, it's a no go.

But what I really want to know is if mixing these things negates the
properties of either or both of them. I don't want to waste time and
chemicals spraying a useless solution.

Having said that, we have a friend who has thousands of orchids. He throws
some Orthene in with his fertilizer occasionally. Doesn't seem to have a bug
problem, and his plants, with very few exceptions, grow outside under trees,
on lines, everywhere.

Diana

. ..

Old 13-08-2008, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I know Physan, Phyton 27, Subdue, and Orthene all play nice together along
with Distance and Enstar, Decathlon, Marathon II, and all the expensive
miticides (Floramite, Pylon, Akari...). Some of these may not work well with
fertilizers. I know Physan and fertilizer cause a fine precipitate which is
probably taking some of the nutrients out of solution. Some of the others
are hard to tell since they turn white in water solutions. The precipitate
is what you want to look for in a reaction. I don't think any of them will
fizz or go kaboom. The precipitate may be so fine it just looks like a
cloudy solution. But it will begin to clump or form sandy-like grains on the
bottom after sitting for awhile. Hope this helps some.
Gary

Old 13-08-2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good info, Gary. Know anything about mixing Cleary's 3336 with Orthene? I am
more concerned about that combination than using the stuff with fertilizer.
I need to do a spray tomorrow, and would love to hit them with both
insecticide and Cleary's at the same time.

I love this group. So many good minds.

Diana

Old 13-08-2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm not sure about Cleary's since I haven't used it. I would think that it
would be fine is you've used them both before individually. Another
consideration in mixing is "is it in dry or liquid form?" Most liquid form
chemicals are dissolved in an organic solvent like petroleum distillate. One
dose is probably ok. But when you add one dose of this and one dose of that
you're adding up to a lot of doses of organic solvent. A plant may tolerate
1 dose just fine but not any more. This goes also for those guys that think
1 dose is good so 3 is probably better. So try for dry chemicals if at all
possible and use as little as does the trick. As for your initial question,
mix a small amount of each together and check for a precipitate in 1/2 an
hour. Cleary's instructions state

"Tank Mixing Instructions: 3336 F is compatible with most commonly used
pesticides.
If tank mixing with other materials,add products in the following
order:water soluble bags,
wettable powders,dry flowables,liquid flowables,emulsifiable
concentrates,and soluble
materials such as fertilizers.No claim of compatibility with other products
is implied.Do
not tank mix with copper-containing materials or with highly alkaline
pesticides,
such as Bordeaux mixture or lime sulfur. Consult the intended tank mix
partner
product label for appropriate application rates and use instructions.Follow
the label directions
for the most restrictive of label precautions and limitations.This product
cannot
be mixed with any product containing a label prohibition against such
mixing.Read and
observe the most restrictive precautionary statements and other information
appearing
on product labels used in mixtures. 3336 F may be applied in conjunction
with chemically
neutral liquid fertilizers.Application in conjunction with highly alkaline
fertilizers,
such as aqueous ammonia,may cause a degradation of the pesticide,resulting
in reduced
performance and should be avoided.

Since Orthene is not in these categories spray away.
Gary

Old 13-08-2008, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

For tank mixing instructions you need to depend on the label more than what
people on the internet say. If the labels do not agree with what I or
anyone else says, follow the label.

I do not have an Orthene label, but it should tank mix fine with Cleary's
and Subdue.

Although the Phyton label says it will tank with other chemicals, I am
afraid to tank mix cooper based chemicals. I always spray Phyton by itself.

Physan's label is pretty weak, at least it now says it has more uses than
just hard surfaces. I have seen Physan tank mixed with Cleary's and Subdue
without any problems, but I have seen Physan not mix well with other stuff.
Unless you feel you really need Physan in the mix and are will to do the
compatibility test, I would avoid mixing it.

Here is the Cleary's label on tank mixing (from Cleary's web site).

Pat

Tank Mixing Instructions: 3336 WP is compatible with most commonly used

[...]

appearing on product labels used in mixtures. 3336 WP may be applied

in conjunction with chemically neutral liquid fertilizers. Application in
conjunction

with highly alkaline fertilizers,such as aqueous ammonia,may cause a
degradation

of the pesticide, resulting in reduced performance and should be avoided.

Tank mix products containing boron or releasable free chlorine will affect
the solubility

of water soluble (PVA) film.Thoroughly rinse the spray tank of any boron

containing spray solution prior to adding any water soluble bags. Even
minimal

carryover concentrations of boron in the spray tank may cause the water
soluble

bag material dissolved in water to precipitate and form insoluble residue
inside

the spray tank.

Old 13-08-2008, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gary makes a real good point about form. I do not like using chemicals
dissolved in petroleum distillate and a double or triple dose of the stuff
could really get you into trouble. Manufactures are making fewer power
forms of the sprays to reduce mixing risks. Many of the newer forms are
"liquid" but not petroleum based. I do not think Cleary's 3336F is petroleum
based, but I have seen Orthene in a petroleum base.

Pat

Mixing Chemicals webwolf Australia 3 22-09-2005 09:53 AM
Mixing Chemicals...... Diana Kulaga Orchids 7 22-07-2004 07:19 PM
Mixing Chemicals...... Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 14-07-2004 12:05 PM
[IBC] Mixing Fertilizer and Super Thrive John NJ Bonsai 11 25-04-2003 10:56 AM
Mixing soil for planters [email protected] Gardening 5 17-04-2003 03:44 AM