Old 15-08-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phal roots

I have a Phal that has many roots growing from the top. This phal had
a problems about a year ago with yellowing leaves. I removed the bad
leaves and repotted the plant. Since then it has grown several
healthy leaves but no flowers.

The roots on top are very thick and healthy looking. They branch like
a tree. I have several other phals. They also have air roots but
nothing like this.

Does this indicate any particular issue with the plant of is it
normal? When I water this plant should I spray the roots?

thanks
Old 15-08-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jane,

It is not at all unusual for a Phal (or other orchid, for that matter) to
grow aerial roots. How ungrateful of them not to grow to our liking!

Just make certain to thoroughly soak the aerial roots when you water the
plant.

Diana

Old 15-08-2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Aug 15, 9:36 am, Jane wrote:
I have a Phal that has many roots growing from the top. This phal had
a problems about a year ago with yellowing leaves. I removed the bad
leaves and repotted the plant. Since then it has grown several
healthy leaves but no flowers.

The roots on top are very thick and healthy looking. They branch like
a tree. I have several other phals. They also have air roots but
nothing like this.

Does this indicate any particular issue with the plant of is it
normal? When I water this plant should I spray the roots?

thanks

Here's what it looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/orchid.jpg
Old 15-08-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

yep. take plant out of cache pot; put in sink; pour water generously
over aerial roots.

drain thoroughly, then put back in cache pot. i'd do all this first
thing in the morning so the crotch of the leaves has time to dry
before dark.

i have one that grew all its leaves in one direction, and a pile of
roots flowed over the pot rim in the other direction.

it was actually kind of cool.

(are you jane from the 'geeks??)

--j_a
Old 15-08-2008, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have a Catt that has a great root system in the pot - and above it! The
roots grow up into the leaves and attach themselves. Makes it hard to show
it, but it did get tagged for a blue ribbon at a show last fall. Nevermind
the number of Phals with upward/outward bound roots.

Diana

Old 17-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Kulaga[_5_] View Post
This may be from left field, but I was told if you keep the medium a little wet that the roots will tend to grow there rather than reaching out and exploring for moisture in the air
Old 19-08-2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The photo illustrates a question I've had. A lot of my phal's, while
seemingly happy, tend to tip and grow sideways. Being a fussbudget I always
have a tendency to want to turn them vertical. Which is better?

Old 19-08-2008, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

What constitutes "better"?

In nature, you'll mostly see pals growing "flopped" over to the side. I
speculate that gravity takes advantage of the relatively small base compared
to the large plant mass above it, and "over she goes". It also helps
prevent water from standing in the crown, which helps eliminate a great
place for bacteria and fungi to grow, virtually eliminating crown rot.

Peter Lin, a grower of excellent phal specimens (bigleaforchids.com),
intentionally tips his pots to achieve that.

Old 19-08-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We started *tipping* Phals a couple of years ago. Not all of them are hung
that way. If a Phal looks like a *basket case*, we put it in a basket with
spaghnum moss and just cut the hanger ends so the Phal will tip just enough
so that nothing can accumulate in the crown.

However, most of our Phals are in small Aliflor, which makes it kind of
tough to tip 'em without losing medium every time we water. And, some just
like to flop over regardless of what we do.

Diana

Old 19-08-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i suspect it's genetic; i have some that grow straight up quite
nicely, then others that crawl sideways regardless of what i do. i've
learned to live with it and let 'em do their thing. (well, except
when they're trying to climb into someone else's pot, or stand on
their heads; one of al's bette's mary lucies is doing that at the
moment. i may have to tie it into its pot. i have an assortment of
rocks around to stick on pots when the occupants start tipping them
over.)

--j_a
Old 20-08-2008, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks all,

I just think they look odd, but no fighting nature.

wrote in message
i suspect it's genetic; i have some that grow straight up quite
nicely, then others that crawl sideways regardless of what i do. i've
learned to live with it and let 'em do their thing. (well, except
when they're trying to climb into someone else's pot, or stand on
their heads; one of al's bette's mary lucies is doing that at the
moment. i may have to tie it into its pot. i have an assortment of
rocks around to stick on pots when the occupants start tipping them
over.)

--j_a

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Cutting Phal roots Ray Orchids 1 23-02-2004 12:08 AM
Yellow roots on Phal. Colin Bigam Orchids 4 04-11-2003 12:32 AM
When will phal keikis develop roots? Ted Byers Orchids 1 20-06-2003 10:08 PM
Phal: Healthy roots, dying leaves Orchids 14 20-03-2003 01:20 PM