Old 15-08-2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default To Repot or Not to Repot

I just bought a new phal. It's in a 4" pot. The flower spike is
about 18" high with two branches. It has three beautiful large blooms
and about 12 buds. It has four large healthy leaves and is growing a
new one.

The pot is clear and I can see that it's absolutely filled with
roots. They are growing over the top and through the drain holes.
I'd say there's about 60 - 70% roots, the rest is bark.

I'm in a quandary. Should I leave it alone since it is doing so
wonderfully well or should I repot it so there can be more bark mix
for nutrients? I absolutely don't want to lose the blooms and buds.

Normally I repot my phals when the finish blooming. If they don't
need a larger pot then I just change the potting mix. If all goes
well it could be months before this phal stops blooming.

What should I do???

thanks
Old 15-08-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, Jane,

The answer is as clear as the pot. Leave it alone. You say the root system
is terrific; that's great. If you saw rot in there, then I'd say to repot,
but under the circumstances you're fine.

Aside from holding some moisture and nutrients when you feed/water, the bark
does not contribute to the overall health of your plant. On the other hand,
rotted bark can substantially harm the root system.

Diana

Old 15-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
[...]

You should leave it alone until it has finished bloomimg. Water it from the top when you think it is getting dry and always allow it to drain. Remove any water remaining between the leaves, I use paper tissues for the job. Don't forget to give it some orchid fertilizer, my orchid books recommend adding fertilizer to three out of four waterings. I never cut the flowering stems back on my Phals until they have turned straw brown. I made that mistake only once!

Best of luck.
P.
Old 17-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantaganet View Post
You should leave it alone until it has finished bloomimg. Water it from the top when you think it is getting dry and always allow it to drain. Remove any water remaining between the leaves, I use paper tissues for the job. Don't forget to give it some orchid fertilizer, my orchid books recommend adding fertilizer to three out of four waterings. I never cut the flowering stems back on my Phals until they have turned straw brown. I made that mistake only once!

Best of luck.
P.
remember if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GH GH is offline

--
Plantaganet- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

How many times do you water you phals? I live in the mountains and it
is either drying hot or freezing cold - almost no intermediate
temperatures.