Old 21-08-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default all you south floridians....

My news said the same. That the storm was moving very slowly and dumping
rain. Diana's pool and lanai were already flooded yesrtday afternoon.
Finger crossed that her armpits are dry...

K Barrett
wrote in message
Hmm. My local news this morning shows st lucie county up to its
collective armpits in water...

--j_a

Diana Kulaga wrote:
We be fine on the east coast. We'll get lots of rain and a little wind
tomorrow. No need to hatchen the batches this time, LOL!

West coast may get more activity. It looks like a Cat 1 for them. That's
still not really such a much in the grand scheme of things. It all
depends
on whether it picks up strength overnight. If it gets a second wind (pun
intended), then Tampa will most likely get the worst, and then the
panhandle.

'Course, if it's gets too windy tomorrow I guess I'll have to move those
swinging Vandas out of the open.

Diana

wrote in message
hattened down your batches i hope?

--j_a

Old 21-08-2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Everything's fine with us. We are in the western area of the county, and
there is good drainage. Also, our lots on this street are built up.

OTOH, the eastern part of Port St. Lucie is inundated. That is the oldest
section of the city, and it's very low. Port St. Lucie was originally a
General Development project, if you remember those guys. Most of the oldest
section is comprised of small *reitrement* houses on flat, tiny lots. East
of US1 is a mess. Fortunately, we are nowhere near there and have no need to
go there.

All in all, we got about 10 inches of rain. The pool overflow was handled
easily by dumping water into the lanai, which has a rock floor. So it
drained out well.

But boy, did that storm take its time getting out of here! And it slowed
down after we got rid of it, so two counties just to the north of us really
got creamed, again mostly in the eastern sections. From what we're hearing,
it's going to whack northern FL a couple of times, but I haven't heard an
update in a couple of hours.

Thanks for thinking about us!

Diana

. ..

Old 22-08-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, all,

Here in east-coast, central Florida is where the storm decided to 'spend the
night' just off shore of Daytona Beach. I'm still high and "dry". One very
curiouse thing that I noticed today. The sky is grey, a solid grey as though
someone evenly painted the ceiling. There is NO definition of clouds. It's
one B I G cloud. Weird.

Chris in Central Florida
(Delete not from the address to reply directly.)

In article
,

Old 22-08-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You are right, Chris, it has been all gray. But today, TADA!, the sun shone
through. Good thing, too. The cat was starting to get insane, LOL! He's half
Siamese, so he's been singing a lot.

I'm glad you stayed dry and safe.

Diana

ng.com...

Old 22-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered User

ok thanks for informing us

Old 26-08-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:17:10 GMT in om Chris Savas wrote:

Hi, all,

Here in east-coast, central Florida is where the storm decided to 'spend the
night' just off shore of Daytona Beach. I'm still high and "dry". One very
curiouse thing that I noticed today. The sky is grey, a solid grey as though
someone evenly painted the ceiling. There is NO definition of clouds. It's
one B I G cloud. Weird.

Back in the late 1990s North Carolina had a tropical storm parked over
it for the better part of a week. It seemed like it was solid grey
skies except for the first and last days.

Same for the past couple days, but no rain until today.
--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 26-08-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You're getting the tail end of it, I guess. Sun has been out here. It rains
like crazy every afternoon, but that's normal for August.

Keep an eye out for Gustav.

Diana