Old 16-10-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default IM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST got this working again. Only took 20 calls to customer "service".
Binary's working too YEA!!

Old 16-10-2008, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Welcome home. I know how you feel. It's like a family reunion. Wish I could
get the binaries group, but no soap. Never have had a problem getting rgo,
though.

Diana

Old 16-10-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Duncan Vincent" wrote in message
I JUST got this working again. Only took 20 calls to customer "service".
Binary's working too YEA!!
Our local show(Foothills orchid Society) was a great success and I was even
nominated for an award for my educational display of time lapse film of
flowers opening. I didnt win because i didnt have any live plants in my
video display. How i can have 200 plants and have nothing in bloom for the
show is a mystery but thats the way it was. If the show was two weeks
earlier..... or a month later. The big bonus is I had a net gain of ZERO
plants. I gave a way an Onc orphan for the repotting demo and traded an AM
Vulk. for future considerations(FCC catt. trianne). Picked up a couple of
C.intermedia including a Coerulea seedling for $10.

Old 17-10-2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Duncan Vincent wrote:
Try shawnews.cg.shawcable.net. you might be able to get on and view from
there. no password required

No, we tried that before. Maybe you don't seem to need a password
because you have it stored in your computer. I just tried it again. When
I go to subscribe to something, the first thing that happens is it asks
for my user name. Since I don't have one of those, I can't even get to
the list of available groups.

Steve
PS I just now gave it a try using "duncan" as my user name. The first
time up popped a message that "authentication failed". I figured it
recognized that I was not entering from their cable system. I tried one
more and it seemed to accept it but then it asked for a password. Done.

Old 18-10-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i was unable to get on at all myself for the last month so i was hoping that
now that thier little problem was fixed others might be able to get on as
well. gonna have to dig into the password issue a little further.

Old 18-10-2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

As Shaw is a cable service provide, it seems likely that they require SOME
sort of authentication.

With Comcast and Verizon, it was a user name and password, but maybe they
are OK with just a username. I think it more likely that they are using the
registered MAC (media access control) address of your interface device
(modem or router).

The bottom line being that if you're not recognized as a paying user of
their service, you ain't gettin' in.

Old 20-10-2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I dont have to enter anything at all so it must be some kind of automatic
thing. I just remembered a freind of mine works at shaw doing some kind of
computer consulting so maybey he will have some info on what might work (if
anything will). Wow. I'm going to do something usefull with facebook.

Old 20-10-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:27:05 -0400 in Steve wrote:

Duncan Vincent wrote:
Try shawnews.cg.shawcable.net. you might be able to get on and view from
there. no password required

No, we tried that before. Maybe you don't seem to need a password
because you have it stored in your computer. I just tried it again. When
I go to subscribe to something, the first thing that happens is it asks
for my user name. Since I don't have one of those, I can't even get to
the list of available groups.

You have to be on a shaw cable subnet

From Duncan's earlier post we have an NNTP posting host of 68.144.31.175
Which is on a net block for shaw cable.
And that's just a contract between shaw and high winds.

--
Chris Dukes
"Across this country, this is the agenda I have set before my fellow
Old 20-10-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:23:46 -0400 in Ray B wrote:
As Shaw is a cable service provide, it seems likely that they require SOME
sort of authentication.

With Comcast and Verizon, it was a user name and password, but maybe they
are OK with just a username. I think it more likely that they are using the
registered MAC (media access control) address of your interface device
(modem or router).

Time Warner Cable never bothered.

Bell South bothered.

Earthlink bothered.

Mebtel started to bother about the time I moved away from them.

All of them had varying levels of service if you wanted to
access their news servers from outside their netblocks.
(As memory serves, earthlink worked from work).