GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Have we given up? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/179404-have-we-given-up.html)

[email protected] 27-10-2008 08:14 PM

Have we given up?

hmm. when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

Ray B[_2_] 27-10-2008 09:28 PM

Have we given up? - a cheap access provider

Good to know, Chuck. Thanks.

"C. Berlin" wrote in message
ster.com...
usenetmonster.com is much cheaper than giganews, only $3/month, and has
worked flawlessly for me. One quirk with this provider: they have two
servers you can access. The news.usenetmonster.com server was slow for
me; the bignews.usenetmonster.com server is very fast. They have a very
easy to follow instruction guide on their website as to how to set this
up, and the one email question I sent was answered the next day. I'd been
with giganews after verizon dropped newsgroups, but didn't like their high
monthly fee so switched to usenetmonster. It accesses all the orchid
groups and everything else, accepts binary pictures, etc.
Chuck B.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Guess I'd better look into Giganews, and figure out how to use it. What's
the other one? Terranews?

Steve[_2_] 28-10-2008 05:07 AM

Have we given up?

wrote:
hmm. when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

I'll tell you one thing, if I had to read this (or any) newsgroup on
Google, I WOULD give up.
I think we can hold most of our current group together for a long time.
As it is, half (or maybe most) of the computer users in the world don't
understand newsgroups. For someone who has never tried newsgroups, if
they have to seek out Giganews or anything similar, what are the chances
they will bother? Few will. Far fewer than when ISPs were expected to
offer their own news server.
More that a few times, I have mentioned or forwarded something from a
newsgroup and the person wants to know the URL so they can join too. I
have to explain that newsgroups are not a web site.

Steve

Steve[_2_] 28-10-2008 05:09 AM

Have we given up?

wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:04:00 -0700 in tbell wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:29:50 -0700, Ray B wrote
(in article ):

OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

I'm reluctant to give up the friends and resources, too. I'm lucky enough to
be able to afford Giganews, but I've been posting texts and binaries to, and
have been able to read posts on Motzarella, too. So far, no cost, though who
knows how long that will last.

Ray Banana, the fellow that runs Motzarella.org, has largely given up on
binaries for now. As a side effect he's in a good position to remain
fairly low bandwidth with the new eternal september.
However, he did have to setup a 3rd news-server recently.

I just used Motzarella to post one picture on ABPO. I hope everyone can
see it.

Steve

[email protected] 28-10-2008 01:44 PM

Have we given up?

On Oct 27, 4:14*pm, wrote:
hmm. *when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. *here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

---and now there are 16. oi.

as for the giganews thing--no, i don't think we're paying. i think my
housemate (the resident geek) downloaded a copy for free when i asked
for a newsreader.

--j_a

wendy7 28-10-2008 04:21 PM

Have we given up?

I could!! I could!! Seems like I am the only one there anymore?
Cheers Wendy (Who misses everyone!)

Steve[_2_] 28-10-2008 05:01 PM

Have we given up?

wrote:
On Oct 27, 4:14 pm, wrote:
hmm. when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

---and now there are 16. oi.

as for the giganews thing--no, i don't think we're paying. i think my
housemate (the resident geek) downloaded a copy for free when i asked
for a newsreader.

--j_a

Giganews isn't a news reader, it's a news server. You need to pay to
access their server, unless your housemate figured out a way to hack
into it.

Steve

tenman 28-10-2008 07:50 PM

Have we given up?

Wendy7 wrote:
I could!! I could!! Seems like I am the only one there anymore?
Cheers Wendy (Who misses everyone!)

Check again, Wendy! I just posted another pic. :)

[email protected] 28-10-2008 09:11 PM

Have we given up?

On Oct 28, 1:01*pm, Steve wrote:

Giganews isn't a news reader, it's a news server. You need to pay to
access their server, unless your housemate figured out a way to hack
into it.

-pondering- maybe it came free with the level of service we had when
we signed up. it's certainly not on the bill. the machine connects
to something like "newsgroups.comcast.net" to download the groups.

and the newsreader is mt-newswatcher, now that i think about it. but
i'm told that giganews is in there somewhere.

or maybe it will all be gone next time i get on the machine at
home. :)

i note that newzbot no longer has this group available to read.

--j_a

[email protected] 29-10-2008 12:52 AM

Have we given up?

aaaand spoke too soon--the cr@p has now shut down the feed. :( off
to look for the cheese.

--j_a

Steve[_2_] 29-10-2008 02:17 AM

Have we given up?

wrote:
On Oct 28, 1:01 pm, Steve wrote:

Giganews isn't a news reader, it's a news server. You need to pay to
access their server, unless your housemate figured out a way to hack
into it.

-pondering- maybe it came free with the level of service we had when
we signed up. it's certainly not on the bill. the machine connects
to something like "newsgroups.comcast.net" to download the groups.........

Uh-Oh... That certainly isn't Giganews.
Back in the good old days, before Adelphia folded, they actually
contracted with Giganews to provide their newsgroup service (at no extra
charge). That was nice while it lasted.

[email protected] 29-10-2008 02:35 PM

Have we given up?

On Oct 28, 10:17*pm, Steve wrote:

Uh-Oh... That certainly isn't Giganews.
Back in the good old days, before Adelphia folded, they actually
contracted with Giganews to provide their newsgroup service (at no extra
charge). That was nice while it lasted.

yes, i think that's what the 'cr@p did back in the day too, and then
migrated it over.

oh well, i fiddled with motz last night a bit and then the housemate
said he got it working, so we shall see...

--j_a

unknown[_1_] 29-10-2008 11:32 PM

Have we given up?

testing testing...

move along, nothing to see here... ;)

--j_a

Steve[_2_] 29-10-2008 11:44 PM

Have we given up?

tenman wrote:
Wendy7 wrote:
I could!! I could!! Seems like I am the only one there anymore?
Cheers Wendy (Who misses everyone!)

Check again, Wendy! I just posted another pic. :)

Hi Tennis,
I couldn't see your post on ABPO, but that's expected because I'm using
Motzarella. Those of us using that (free) service can post with or
without pictures and receive all the posts that include no picture. On
rare occasions we see pictures from other news servers.
Other than you saying so here, I wouldn't have a clue that you posted
anything there until Tom replied. I could see the link to the picture on
the web site in his reply.
Beautiful flower, by the way! :-)

Steve

PS Our power went off for a minute just as I finished typing the above.
I saved this and started...............

PPS Everything above was written on Tuesday evening. Now, Wednesday
evening, I will continue....
As I was saying, the power went off. Battery backup let me save what I
was doing. I sat there wondering (for just a moment) whether to leave
the computer on and let the glow from the monitor help me find my way to
find a flashlight. Before I decided, the power came back on. I found a
flashlight and put it in my pocket. I started to write the PS and it
went off again. I shut down the computer and it came back on for 30
seconds then went off for good. Power was off from 10:45 until 3:30 AM
or so. We had snow and high winds. It snowed all night and continued
with light snow all day today. Over a foot of snow in October. Go figure.

Steve (in the Adirondacks...of course)