Old 25-10-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Have we given up?

OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

Old 25-10-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray B wrote:
OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

Think it's more like newsgroups are abandoning us..
Old 25-10-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Naaah. I don't buy that.

If we really want to continue, a relatively cheap subscription to Giganews
would allow us to.

Old 26-10-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Never say die! I've been up to my ears in alligators, that's all. It does
get quiet sometimes, but I really don't want to lose this group of
wonderful people.

Guess I'd better look into Giganews, and figure out how to use it. What's
the other one? Terranews?

Love to all!
Diana

Old 26-10-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray B wrote:
Naaah. I don't buy that.

If we really want to continue, a relatively cheap subscription to Giganews
would allow us to.

'Relatively cheap' is certainly beyond my means for now.

Old 26-10-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:29:50 -0700, Ray B wrote
(in article ):

OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

I'm reluctant to give up the friends and resources, too. I'm lucky enough to
be able to afford Giganews, but I've been posting texts and binaries to, and
have been able to read posts on Motzarella, too. So far, no cost, though who
knows how long that will last.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 26-10-2008, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray, I promise to post some pictures on ABPO real soon. (I'll link to
some here too.) I could do some now but I should get on to bed. I need
to be fresh in the morning for my drive to Montreal for the orchid show!
:-)

Steve

Old 26-10-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

well, despite the rumour that comcr@p was going to kill newsgroups
yesterday, i am still able to post and read. i freely admit to not
knowing how all this works--i'm on gignews, maybe it's going around the
'cr@p...

so! that wilsonara i bought in march and put in s/h grew a new pbulb,
and is now growing a spike.

--j_a
Old 26-10-2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm like Diana, busy, busy, busy. But this is the first place I check in
the mornings. Otherwise I just don't have much to say I guess. (Is that
the sound of pig's wings flapping in the breeze?)

K Barrett

Old 26-10-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Have we given up? - a cheap access provider

usenetmonster.com is much cheaper than giganews, only $3/month, and has
worked flawlessly for me. One quirk with this provider: they have two
servers you can access. The news.usenetmonster.com server was slow for me;
the bignews.usenetmonster.com server is very fast. They have a very easy to
follow instruction guide on their website as to how to set this up, and the
one email question I sent was answered the next day. I'd been with giganews
after verizon dropped newsgroups, but didn't like their high monthly fee so
switched to usenetmonster. It accesses all the orchid groups and everything
else, accepts binary pictures, etc.
Chuck B.

. ..

Old 27-10-2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:29:50 -0400 in Ray B wrote:
OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

-ENOTIME
-ENOCASH
-ETUNEDOUT

The wife and I are skipping this winter's trek to Carter and Holmes
in favor of getting the credit card paid off.
We'll probably make a couple more visits than normal to Orchid Trail.
We're still looking for a replacement T5 fixture for under the
cabinets in the kitchen, but her orchids have been shuffled down
to the lighted nook in the basement until I hear someone say
"This worked really well." I may have to break down and find
a good pot grower's forum to see what they recommend for grow lights.
I suspect part of the lack of response is that I'm a cranky not quite
old fart...

I've also tried to avoid discussion, commentary, and opinion forums
until November 5th or later, all they seem to do is raise my blood
pressure. A side effect is I've also not been here as much and
have been responding even less than I normally do.

--
Chris Dukes
"Across this country, this is the agenda I have set before my fellow
Old 27-10-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:43:12 -0400 in unknown wrote:
well, despite the rumour that comcr@p was going to kill newsgroups
yesterday, i am still able to post and read. i freely admit to not
knowing how all this works--i'm on gignews, maybe it's going around the
'cr@p...

If you're paying to use giganews in addition to paying to use comcast,
you would be entitled to sue comcast if they blocked your ability to
reach giganews.

(Or if you want to think in terms of free. comcast had their own
web space for users, but most folks opted for geocities or now
myspace).

so! that wilsonara i bought in march and put in s/h grew a new pbulb,
and is now growing a spike.

I hit a couple months of depression late this summer that
led to neglect of my plants. The response of the onc sharry baby
was to bloom early :-).

Old 27-10-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:04:00 -0700 in tbell wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:29:50 -0700, Ray B wrote
(in article ):

OK, the number of posts here and at abpo have been mighty slim. Are we
abandoning newsgroups?

I'm reluctant to give up the friends and resources, too. I'm lucky enough to
be able to afford Giganews, but I've been posting texts and binaries to, and
have been able to read posts on Motzarella, too. So far, no cost, though who
knows how long that will last.

Ray Banana, the fellow that runs Motzarella.org, has largely given up on
binaries for now. As a side effect he's in a good position to remain
fairly low bandwidth with the new eternal september.
However, he did have to setup a 3rd news-server recently.