GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   underside of leaves sticky (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/179644-underside-leaves-sticky.html)

Jane 07-11-2008 02:30 PM

underside of leaves sticky

I've notices that on some of my plants there are small droplets. They
look like water, but when I touch them the are sticky. When I see it
I wipe it off with a damp cloth.

The plants look fine and are growing leaves and flower spikes.

Is this anything to worry about?

[email protected] 07-11-2008 04:30 PM

underside of leaves sticky

if they are little round balls, and taste slightly sweet, you're fine;
the plants produce honeydew when they're happy. it can attract ants
though (which can bring in other bad things), so you might want to
stick the plant under the faucet periodically and rinse the honeydew
off. (and don't get it in your hair. i'm just sayin'... ;)

however, look closely for bugs, as some types of insects (which types
escapes me at the moment) exude sticky glop, and you don't want them
on your plants.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/o...954020859.html

http://www.orchids.mu/Problems/Pests/

--j_a