Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default underside of leaves sticky

I've notices that on some of my plants there are small droplets. They
look like water, but when I touch them the are sticky. When I see it
I wipe it off with a damp cloth.

The plants look fine and are growing leaves and flower spikes.

Is this anything to worry about?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

if they are little round balls, and taste slightly sweet, you're fine;
the plants produce honeydew when they're happy. it can attract ants
though (which can bring in other bad things), so you might want to
stick the plant under the faucet periodically and rinse the honeydew
off. (and don't get it in your hair. i'm just sayin'...

however, look closely for bugs, as some types of insects (which types
escapes me at the moment) exude sticky glop, and you don't want them
on your plants.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/o...954020859.html

http://www.orchids.mu/Problems/Pests/

--j_a

Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 7, 11:30*am, wrote:
if they are little round balls, and taste slightly sweet, you're fine;
the plants produce honeydew when they're happy. *it can attract ants
though (which can bring in other bad things), so you might want to
stick the plant under the faucet periodically and rinse the honeydew
off. *(and don't get it in your hair. *i'm just sayin'... *

however, look closely for bugs, as some types of insects (which types
escapes me at the moment) exude sticky glop, and you don't want them
on your plants.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/o...954020859.html

http://www.orchids.mu/Problems/Pests/

--j_a

Thanks. I'll check.

Sort of palm tree has sticky secretion on underside of leaves Paul United Kingdom 7 16-07-2009 03:49 PM
Identifying spots on the underside of chili plant leaves David JR Gardening 2 03-07-2009 10:37 PM
orange rust on underside of raspberry leaves Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 3 10-09-2004 02:00 PM
sticky leaves Orchids 5 20-06-2003 12:56 AM
Sticky Leaves Help Josey United Kingdom 6 10-05-2003 12:32 PM