Old 19-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Default Orchid Life Expectancy

Hi

I am fairly new to the whole gardening business and dont really have much knowledge on what I am doing. Its all trial and error at the moment.

I wonder if someone could help me. I had an orchid a couple of years back and after approx 2 months all the leaves fell off it and it was basically "a stick in a pot", so I threw it away.

I have been told that if I had kept it that it would have blossomed again. Not sure if this is true or not. If it does blossom again how long does this take and does it keep loosing its leaves and growing back again every year?

Also, if this is the case, how do you know when it is dead?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Old 19-11-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

depends on the type of orchid. some types (nobile dendrobiums, for
instance) are deciduous and can lose their leaves. others shouldn't
be losing leaves. with proper care, orchids can live for decades (and
even bloom

or they can fall over dead when you bring them in the house, just out
of spite.

it totally depends on the type of plant. don't let that stop you from
trying again though.

http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...ContentID=3373

--j_a
Old 22-11-2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 19, 10:36*am, wrote: depends on the type of
orchid. *some types (nobile dendrobiums, for instance) are deciduous
and can lose their leaves. *others shouldn't be losing leaves. *with
proper care, orchids can live for decades (and even bloom or
they can fall over dead when you bring them in the house, just out of
spite. it totally depends on the type of plant. *don't let that
stop you from trying again though. *
http://www.aos.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Orchid_Basics&Template=/Ta....
--j_aHowdy!* It was always my understanding that orchids can live

indefinitely, given good care.* As for losing leaves, it's true that
it depends on the type of orchid you have.* Some are green all year,
some are deciduous and some terrestrials disappear completely.* Do you
remember what kind of orchid you had?Keep trying, though.* It's a
great hobby.Bob - Philadelphia, Pa