Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Problem with phal. Base of leaf black

This phal just finished blooming today. When I bought it, it was
crammed into a very small pot. There was almost no growing medium,
but it had gorgeous blooms and was doing very well, so I decided to
leave it alone until it finished blooming.

I noticed today that the base of the leaves is turning black. What
should I do? I haven't repotted it yet.

Photo is he http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/orchidproblem.jpg

thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

if that black area is soft, you've got some sort of crown or bacterial
rot.

1) isolate plant asap

2) pull it out of the pot, clean off all the old medium, treat the
black area with hydrogen peroxide or one of the physans (or even
remove the leaf and cut away as much of the black as you can reach)
and then dust with cinnamon

3) repot and keep pouring H2O2 or physan on it about once a week.

see also:

http://www.firstrays.com/remedies.htm

under 'fungicides' and 'crown rot'

and

http://orchidexchange.com/Photos/stemrot.htm

if however the black area is hard and dry, i'd just rinse it down with
H2O2 when you repot and keep an eye on it.

--j_a
Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Dec 11, 12:59*pm, wrote:
if that black area is soft, you've got some sort of crown or bacterial
rot.

1) *isolate plant asap

2) pull it out of the pot, clean off all the old medium, treat the
black area with hydrogen peroxide or one of the physans (or even
remove the leaf and cut away as much of the black as you can reach)
and then dust with cinnamon

3) repot and *keep pouring H2O2 or physan on it about once a week.

see also:

http://www.firstrays.com/remedies.htm

under 'fungicides' and 'crown rot'

and

http://orchidexchange.com/Photos/stemrot.htm

if however the black area is hard and dry, i'd just rinse it down with
H2O2 when you repot and keep an eye on it.

--j_a

Thanks. Repotted it this morning. While the black area feels hard,
the leaves that had it came off easily. Not good I'm sure. I will
take your advice about treatment.

Thanks again.