Old 13-12-2008, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default cockroaches

does any one now if cockroaches will eat orchid flowers

Old 13-12-2008, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I guess it depends on the cockroach... I have had roots eaten by bush
cockroaches, (I think) so flowers would not surprise me...

Yours Sincerely

Kye Tanson
---
BIO-Dex Consulting
www.biodex.com.au

Old 13-12-2008, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

andrew wrote:
does any one now if cockroaches will eat orchid flowers

YES!!!

There are legendary stories of the early days of orchids being imported
into europe from south america, and when they arrived there were no
orchids in the crates but a lot of very fat roaches.
Old 14-12-2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Dec 12, 11:56*pm, "andrew" wrote:
does any one now if cockroaches will eat orchid flowers

I am very excited to hear that the little fellas really DO eat our
treasured plants and flowers! I have been fretting for over a year-
as to WHO could be doing all the chomping...with very little
productive advice. I have seen them near the pots- and now the
disappearances (of large buds, and newly opened flowers) have slowed
down considerably.
Has anyone else seen "scraping" on the foliage- which would hint at
slugs. I have been unable to verify their presence- only the effect.
My Bug Person (and I) will conquer!
Elinor
Old 14-12-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
On Dec 12, 11:56 pm, "andrew" wrote:
does any one now if cockroaches will eat orchid flowers

I am very excited to hear that the little fellas really DO eat our
treasured plants and flowers! I have been fretting for over a year-
as to WHO could be doing all the chomping...with very little
productive advice. I have seen them near the pots- and now the
disappearances (of large buds, and newly opened flowers) have slowed
down considerably.
Has anyone else seen "scraping" on the foliage- which would hint at
slugs. I have been unable to verify their presence- only the effect.
My Bug Person (and I) will conquer!
Elinor

Don't forget grasshopper will do that too. We have these small grey bronze
colored ones that'll scrape a leaf down to nothing. Tom Bell has a mystery
pest that eats the leaf's body leaving the veins in a lovely lace like
patterns.

K Barrett

Old 14-12-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In Florida (where Elinor is), we have a grasshopper called the lubber. It is
quite large and partial to Dendrobiums, though it will eat other orchids as
well. I've heard people say that the best way to get rid of them is with a 2
x 4.

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/orn/lubber.htm

Diana

Old 15-12-2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:48:46 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
[...]

Ha! Lovely, indeed!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Cockroaches emntee Orchids 1 20-12-2007 06:04 PM
Texas-sized Cockroaches OmManiPadmeOmelet Texas 9 24-07-2006 06:56 PM
Cockroaches sqArk Permaculture 4 10-01-2004 04:09 AM