GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chloraea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/180308-chloraea.html)

tenman 14-12-2008 05:57 AM

Chloraea

Anyone know of any sources for Chloraea species in the US? There are
some rather remarkable flowers and I'd love to try my hand at growing them.

K Barrett 16-12-2008 04:17 PM

Chloraea

They look rather like the Australian terrestrials, no?
http://www.chileflora.com/Florachile...ges/EH0663.htm

BIO-Dex Consulting 17-12-2008 12:33 AM

Chloraea

Id like to try growing those here in Australia... Now to find them.

Yours Sincerely

Kye Tanson
---
BIO-Dex Consulting
www.biodex.com.au

tenman 17-12-2008 05:29 AM

Chloraea

BIO-Dex Consulting wrote:
Id like to try growing those here in Australia... Now to find them.

Yours Sincerely

Kye Tanson

Kye, there is a Chilean Flora site which sells seeds:

http://www.chileflora.com/Florachile...archengine.htm

and I believe it is also they who offer them on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Chileflora-Chilean-seeds

However, Warren Stoutamire, a retired botanist and grower of all
things fantastic and wonderful, said he has had little to no germination
with old seed and that the season for fresh seed would be at the end of
their summer (which woudl be the sme season for you, but spring for me).
He has only one surviving seedling which he describes as 'weak'. So, I
would advise checking into them now but buying seed when its freshest.

Please keep us apprised of any information/experience you may have with
these. Keep my email address handy as who knows if I'll go through
another period of inaccessibility to newsgroups.
( )