Old 24-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Douglas Bolt

Default Orchids in the Kitchen window

Ray,

Thanks for the info. I thought low E had something to do with a gas they
filled the space between the two sheets of glass. A metal coating on the
surface makes more sense as a means to reflect heat.

doug bolt
Visit: http://www.boltassociates.com

Ray @ First Rays Orchids wrote:
Low-E glass has a coating consisting primarily of tin oxide on one of
the surfaces. It is designed to trap long-wave infrared (heat) and
reflect it back (to the inside in the winter, outside in the summer)
to reduce energy use.

The coating is probably in the neighborhood of 5000 angstroms thick,
and reduces the intensity of the incoming light a small amount. If I
recall correctly, the center of the visible light spectrum is reduced
less than the ends, meaning that the shading - as far as your plants
are concerned - is a slightly greater than what your eye detects.

"Douglas Bolt" wrote in message
Actually, the window in question
(http://www.boltassociates.com/Orchids-Kitchen/) faces south. The
glass is Low E type ( I don't know what effect this has on plant
growth. Anyone know??) and during winter months the glass is shaded
with window screen from about 16 inches down to the bottom. During
the summer, the overhang on the roof shades against direct sunlight.

That said, most plants are grown elsewhere during part of the year -
either outside or under lights.

Old 24-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Douglas Bolt

Nina,

You are much too modest regarding your skills. How do you set your camera
for the close up shots? Do you use the Auto feature, or one of the many
other less programed settings?

I saw the Custom feature mentioned, but had not yet figured out what it did.
I just discovered the Browse button late yesterday.

Thanks again for your help.

doug bolt
Visit: http://www.boltassociates.com

Nina Baltes wrote:
Douglas Bolt wrote:
Nina,

I need to go back to your web site
(http://www.chaotropic.net/orchids.html) again to develop some
questions for you regarding your photographic techniques. It is
obvious that you know what you are doing.

Hee hee. The truth is, I don't know much about photography at all.
It's my camera that does it (Nikon Coolpix 995). The only 'tricks'
I use are a) to cover a part of the flash for closeups and b)
sometimes using a black piece of cloth as background, with a slit in
it so you can isolate a flower for a picture. And I've found a tripod
to be essential.

I agree with you. Aries is the best I've found. I keep finding more
options as I poke around. I'm still looking for a way to manually
order the presentation of images. I found the pull-down to sort
automatically by filename, title etc, but I have not found a way to
do it manually - not a big deal, but...

You just set it to "custom" and then sort by drag and drop.

Nina

Old 24-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Wendy

Thank you Nina, your pages & pictures are lovely. Yes I do need something
easy so how do
I get the Arles software?
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Nina Baltes

Wendy wrote:
Thank you Nina, your pages & pictures are lovely.

Thanks!

Yes I do need something
easy so how do
I get the Arles software?

Simply go to http://www.digitaldutch.com/arles/ and download it

Nina
Old 24-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Wendy

Merci beaucoup!

Old 24-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Nina Baltes

Douglas Bolt wrote:
Nina,

You are much too modest regarding your skills. How do you set your camera
for the close up shots? Do you use the Auto feature, or one of the many
other less programed settings?

Hm, I put the plant in front of the camera and shift/zoom things around
so that the distance is in the optimum range for the macro function,
then set the camera to manual and close the aperture as far as it will
let me (depending on the light in my apartment), everything else stays
on automatic, and I use the shutter with a three-second delay so I don't
ruin the picture with my tremors . I play around with blocking the
flash a bit (holding a finger or hand in the way), it usually takes me
2-4 tries to get a sufficiently lit picture.

As you can see, this works a lot better at home than at shows (I didn't
bring a tripod).

Passionate photographers will probably cringe at my description , but
if it weren't for my digicam, I wouldn't have any decent pictures of my
orchids. It's so easy and fun to experiment, and you can just delete the
junk. I do plan to get a better understanding of how it all works
eventually though .

Nina
Old 25-02-2003, 09:54 PM
DManc53

Wow, what a nice window! THat is how I'm growing most of my orchids also.
Wooded lot so no chance of too much sun.

What is your low temp wher your at- I took the plants out of the window for the
below 10 degree nights...or would some enjoy the tem dip internal window about
50
Old 26-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Douglas Bolt

Nina,

Thanks for the info.

Do you use the Macro function on the camera, or just select the tulip icon
and zoom until the bar turns yellow?

Old 26-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Douglas Bolt

I live in Maryland, so it not too cold. If you are interested in the temp
here, I have a weather station at
http://www.boltassociates.com/weather/wx.htm It should tell you the outside
temp and other statistics at 10 min intervals 24/7 . The pic at the bottom
was taken during the snow last week.

Old 26-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Nina Baltes

Douglas Bolt wrote:
Nina,

Thanks for the info.

Do you use the Macro function on the camera, or just select the tulip icon
and zoom until the bar turns yellow?

The latter, but to my understanding the flower icon *is* the macro
function?

Nina

Old 26-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Douglas Bolt

Nina,

I have the 4500, so it may be slightly different from the 995, but it has a
Macro Mode (set by depressing the Mode button and turning the Function
wheel) and the tulip button (set by pushing a button below the LCD). I
usually set the Func/Mode to A and turn the Tulip on when taking pictures of
birds through the scope. I'm not clear on what the difference is between
Macro Mode and Tulip setting.

Old 27-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Nina Baltes

I have the 4500, so it may be slightly different from the 995, but it has a
Macro Mode (set by depressing the Mode button and turning the Function
wheel) and the tulip button (set by pushing a button below the LCD). I
usually set the Func/Mode to A and turn the Tulip on when taking pictures of
birds through the scope. I'm not clear on what the difference is between
Macro Mode and Tulip setting.

I just checked the manual for the 995, there's no difference
between them for this model.

Nina
Old 27-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Douglas Bolt