Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Hello Again , ABPO ?

On Feb 6, 11:30*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:29:59 -0800 (PST) in Ted Byers *wrote:
Granted, things have gotten better, we're back to normally having web
pages where I can click on a specific blog entry and get a URL I
can send to someone else and 1) it'll work 2) It's human readable
and less than 80 characters long....
But it's a UI nightmare to shuffle between live journal,
various software blogs, launchpad.... *And maintaining state about
what's read and unread and what was marked as unread so it
could be reread, is pretty much non-existant.

Tell me about it. I have to handle such nightmares when designing web
based user interfaces that the end user would find both useful and
friendly. BTW: maintaining such state is not hard to handle IF one
creates an effective subscription interface (using a design pattern
similar to what is required for the combination of security and user
friendliness that requires single logon for multiple applications with
unique permissions requirements for different categories of users);
but creating it requires a software engineer who knows what he's doing
and finding one of these is itself a nightmare.

Plus I'm horribly biased from 11 years of dealing with incompetent
websphere developers mixed with cargo cult PHP developers
and my normal inspiration being to go build a raised bed
instead of writing something that sucks less :-).

Don't forget the cult Ruby developers and cult Javascript developers
and, the worst of the lot, VB developers. ;-)

I no longer get upset with the hordes of incompetent developers out
there. Instad I seek to endure what I can't change, change what I
can, and especially seek the wisdom to know the difference.

What passes for a curriculum for software engineers these days at a
lot of colleagues is a disgrace. It is annoying that such folks
damage the market for custom software by their routine failure to
deliver good quality software, but there isn't much one can do about
it. And I see poor quality software everywhere I go.

I'll stop here as this gets rather depressing ...

Cheers

Ted
Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 7, 9:28*am, "Pat Brennan" wrote:
If you really do not like Outlook that much get on google and find a news
reader that is more to your liking. *There are a couple of them out there
which are free to download.

I do not think any website is going to be the same as USENET. *With websites
come moderators, administrator, owners, IDs and passwords, rules, and
hosting bills. *If these things do not bother you, there are lots of web
based orchid forums out there. *None of them are like the wild, wild west
USENET used to be. *I was recently asked where all the RGOers went. *I
replied that I really did not know and that you did not see that many of
them on the various website forums except Ray and Ray is ubiquitous.

This is an encouragement to develop a better website which includes
forums.

While USENET was useful in its time, there are major problems with it
(SPAM, flamewars, poor signal to noise ratio). I prefer a little more
order than is possible in the wild wild west. For plain text fora, I
find google groups to be as effective, and more user friendly, than a
conventional news reader' although it does nothing to address the
major problems that may be an inevitable part of unmoderated usenet
newsgroups. I have seen once useful newsgroups become completely
worthless because of problems like SPAM (some of which was so
disgraceful no responsible parent would let their kids see similar
material).

It is not just an orchid based forum I would like to see (I have
probably already bookmarked most of them), but one where the regulars
here can continue to provide their expertise, others can ask their
questions, pictures can be posted/viewed, and one which includes a
database back end that contains first hand experience and records from
those growing orchids (and other plants) that can be queried/analyzed,
and including data that can be used to identify/classify specimens
that have yet to be identified, and a whole lot more. For example,
being able to maintain a record of culture practices and results would
allow us to learn what works best in a given environment. I know a
guy who can heal any plants almost killed by neighbors (putatively in
the same general environment: same temperature, lighting and humidity
in the outside environment), and he makes them thrive. He attributes
this to his practice of keeping humidity in his greanhouse at almost
100% where his neighbors attempt to compensate for low humidity by
watering more frequently. I don't know if his explanation is right,
but having environmental conditions and cultural practices stored in a
database along with the performance of the plants, for subsequent
analysis, would allow one to find out and more importantly learn what
is both practicable and effective in almost any situation (window
sill, greenhouse, &c.). Have you seen any resource anywhere on the
web that supports anything like this?

Cheers

Ted
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:29:59 -0800 (PST) in Ted Byers wrote:

It isn't a question of being stuck. I have years of experience using
Outlook Express. I just hate it because of the extent it wastes
resources such as hard disk space, and it's interface leaves much to
be desired. A web interface is preferable (if well designed) since
the data remains on the host, always viewable, and consumes minimal
resources on the client machines. Web technologies are just more
flexible that nntp allows.

Outlook is a festering pile of feces, and always has been.

Yes, it's always been a mystery to me why anyone would buy software from
a company whose chief product by volume is fixes for its faulty
products. Idiots!

there are lots of web
based orchid forums out there. None of them are like the wild, wild west
USENET used to be. I was recently asked where all the RGOers went. I
replied that I really did not know and that you did not see that many of
them on the various website forums

Yes, and I miss the wild wild west.The community feeling without it is
gone. AOS forum was a reasonable substitute til they broke it up into
little bits and cut out everyone who questioned AOS or argued. The
arguments were fun. It was just like real life - people argue - no need
for Second Life!

While USENET was useful in its time, there are major problems with it
(SPAM, flamewars, poor signal to noise ratio). I prefer a little more
order than is possible in the wild wild west.

And many of us, like me, prefer a LOT more freedom, like the USENET,
warts and all!!

problems like SPAM (some of which was so
disgraceful no responsible parent would let their kids see similar
material).

[Then, and here's an idea - don't let them see it!!]

Yes, responsible parents, who are as scarce as hen's teeth and would
lazily rather restrict everyone's freedom than supervise their children.
Well, I'm not a child and it's not my job to care about their children -
it's theirs! Don't want to go to the trouble of monitoring and
supervising your children? Then don't HAVE them!!! I'm sick of
everything in my life being circumscribed by OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN.
Freedom of speech? Ooh, don't cuss in public because some person's
coddled little brat might hear a word. Oh, terrible. A word. So because
the parent chose to breed and drag their child out in public I lose my
freedom of speech? If they don't like it they can keep the kid in, or,
here's an idea, teach the kid whatever values they like without
impinging on the freedom of everyone else. Too hard? Then don't be a
parent. They're worried about my speech but they'll happily sit the kid
down in front of a tv set and watch two supposedly human beings beat
each other senseless and call it sport [boxing]. Bah! Humbug!

Thank goodness the governor of NY didn't pick the Cuomo nazi for the
senate seat!!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:55:22 -0800 (PST) in Ted Byers wrote:
Ah, OK. More evidence that politicians are useless idiots who are
highly unlikely to ever do anything useful.

Well, Cuomo did do something useful.
He provided the legal excuse for ISPs to dump a service they perceived
to be high cost and utilized by only a fraction of their customers.

Unfortunately the utility of the action depends on who you are...

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.

Hello again everyone. Wil Edible Gardening 0 07-04-2009 02:19 AM
Bloody VERMIN Cats again, and again, and again, and again....:-(((( Mike United Kingdom 22 03-05-2005 01:59 PM
hello again becon776 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 17-03-2005 02:05 AM
[IBC] Hello! Again. Peter Aradi Bonsai 8 04-06-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] Hello Again Craig Cowing Bonsai 3 15-02-2003 04:15 AM