Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default No one from Victoria?

On Feb 12, 8:43*am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Thank you Andrew. You're a pal! *I guess I can't get over being a den
mother.

K Barrett

Not a problem. I realise it's quite disconcerting, when disasters
occur outside of your country, to try and piece together where your
international friends are on a map you're probably not familiar with.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Diana

No need to worry about Kye. He lives in Queensland and is probably closer
to the floods in Northern Australia than he is to the bush fires in
Victoria. Such is the nature of Australia that we are drowning in the
north, burning in the south and being eaten in the middle (two shark attacks
in Sydney in last two days!)
http://www.theage.com.au/national/bo...0213-86a6.html

John

Old 13-02-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 4:04*pm, "John Varigos"
wrote:
Hi Diana

No need to worry about Kye. *He lives in Queensland and is probably closer
to the floods in Northern Australia than he is to the bush fires in
Victoria. *Such is the nature of Australia that we are drowning in the
north, burning in the south and being eaten in the middle (two shark attacks
in Sydney in last two days!)http://www.theage.com.au/national/bo...dneys-second-i...

That reminds me of when I was in India a few years ago. I was in the
Punjab, where the monsoons had failed for several years in a row by
the time I arrived. Average temperature was 45 degrees Celcius, and
Rajastan, to the south of Punjab was even hotter and drier. The
suffering of those in rural areas and in ghettos was terrible. And a
month after I arrived in the Punjab, in Assam, the easternmost state
in India, they had terrible floods that drove all kinds of nasty
critters into homes, and we remarked how cool the Punjab had become
when the termperatures moderated to 35 degrees Celcius ;-).

To bad one can't easily create an infrastructure that takes such
surplus water and pipe or otherwise ship it to neighbors who need it.
That makes as much sense as the pipelines that carry oil and natural
gas from western and northern Canada down to the states and east to
central Canada, perhaps more so. Reduce the hazard, at least a
little, due to flooding, and get it to the south to ameliorate the
worst aspects of the drought.

Needless to say, our thought and prayers in this household are with
the folk down under who are living through such tough times; both in
the flooded north and burning south.

Ted

Old 13-02-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for your thoughts Ted. Our politicians have been talking about a
North-South water pipeline to bring water from the monsoonal north to the
drought stricken south for more than 100 years. If they had started back
then it would have been finished by now.

Now, had it been an oil pipeline that was required ......!!

John

Old 13-02-2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 9:17*pm, "John Varigos"
wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts Ted. *Our politicians have been talking about a
North-South water pipeline to bring water from the monsoonal north to the
drought stricken south for more than 100 years. *If they had started back
then it would have been finished by now.

Now, had it been an oil pipeline that was required ......!!

One can live without oil, but one can not live without water! And
business can't thrive if there's no-one to hire to do the work or buy
their product/service.

I guess the politicians there are as useless as those here.

Maybe someone needs to rattle their cages and demand that they get it
done. I would hold them, and their predecessors, guilty of negligent
homicide in the deaths of everyone who has died as a result of either
the floods in the north or the fires in the south.

A combination of water pipelines, with appropriate water management,
and creative landscaping ought to minimize risk of wild fire at least
in urban centres, and around homes in rural areas.

There are wildly different kinds of plants growing in each area. For
example, in the Canadian boreal forest, there is no such thing as a
truly old growth forest. The forest NEEDS fire to replenish itself,
and many boreal tree species can not reproduce unless fire burns the
resin of their cones so they can open. And some of these species have
bark that is loaded with resin, and they burn magnificently. But
there are species that, if sufficiently mature, will suffer only
trivial scarring, surviving most fires well, and there are some
species that can be described as reluctant burners: stands of these
are sometimes referred to as asbestos forests. It isn't that they
won't burn, but rather that wildfires tend not to propagate through
them very well. All of these live in the same general environment:
the Canadian boreal forest.

As for water management, lessons can be learned from beavers. When
they were thriving through north america, including the arid southwest
of Alberta (I guess that would be in the foothills, primarily, as they
need access to streams and trees, those sites with the largest
concentration of beaver always had plenty of surface potable water
even in the worst of droughts.

It isn't likely that any of these Canadian species could survive down
under, but understanding their ecology here, and the hydrology of
ecosystems containing lots of beaver, could aide in designing useful
water management systems, and identifying native plants that could
provide something of a buffer between homes and areas prone to
wildfire.

I can only hope the final death toll is no worse than what we've
heard, and that once the shock of the tragedy has subsided, all the
people there start taking their politicians to task, demanding that
they finally do something useful to minimize the chances of such
tragedies occuring again.

Cheers,

Ted